SEnsible / safe heating for workshop (aka the garage)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been battling the elements in my garage and losing badly and was wondering what you guys are using for heating if any you are working in garages (like me). I've been through quite a few options but all of them apart from those terrible oil filled radiators seem to be dangerous to use in the presence of sawdust!
I thought I'd better ask before I set the garage / workshop on fire accidentally!!

Just curious. Why do you say oil-filled radiators are terrible?

Some peoeple swear by the radiant infra-red type heaters, which heat human flesh rather than the air.
Personally, I've always got on with oil-filled rads.

John Brown":j1yomgvk said:

Some peoeple swear by the radiant infra-red type heaters, which heat human flesh rather than the air.

I borrowed one and it just never seemed to make a difference. It was on for hours but never heated anything..

Aren't these infra red fan / heater things dangerous with sawdust in the air? I thought most of them had open elements that would happily set fire to sawdust particles that settled on them?

That one from Primrose looks awesome! Have you had any issues with dust / sawdust from the machines?

HomeyJay":fcq25h8z said:
John Brown":fcq25h8z said:

I borrowed one and it just never seemed to make a difference. It was on for hours but never heated anything..

If it was working, it WAS heating. But if the workshop is large, or has no insulation, it will never be noticed.
Insulate first, heat second.

Well, they do take a while to warm up, and to cool down, that's true.
On the other hand, the thing about electric heating is that there's not really any difference in efficiency, despite what the vendors might tell you.
1kW is 1kW.
There may be savings to be made by tighter control of temperature, which may justify claims for ceramic heaters over plain old metal wire things, I don't really know.

But if its cold enough to wear heated clothing, you will struggle with glue ups and dimensional errors when the wood warms up again

great, your body will be warm.

your hands will be freezing still.

unlikely for a quartz/infrared to ignite sawdust, might make the bits that land on it smolder slowly and make it smell but not enough to ignite it. at least that's my experience but do your own risk assessment.

I wonder if heating un-insulated shed/garage during the day and switching it off during the night would cause damp issues?

HomeyJay":2yuhedy9 said:
That one from Primrose looks awesome! Have you had any issues with dust / sawdust from the machines?
None whatsoever. It's not exactly in an industrial environment, but neither is it clean. :D
I think it's great, as my main problem is cold hands, and the heat from it is instant.

Osvaldd":21qmpp92 said:
I wonder if heating un-insulated shed/garage during the day and switching it off during the night would cause damp issues?

Shoot. I didn't think of that!

Latest posts

Back