Select a DNA for tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsworth

Established Member
Reaction score
Well finally our area is implementing the DNA spray to uniquely identify your property. I want to get this and put it on my tools as i've already suffered from several thefts.

I have some concerns though. It says that the thief will end up with this stuff on them which is almost impossible to remove. What about me? Will i end up with it all over myself? Will i in turn get it all over my partner? I don't think she will like the idea of lighting up like a Christmas tree with this stuff on her. What are the health risks of this stuff? Does anyone know?

It isn't going to stop t-leafs from having away with your tools. Maybe in the 1 in 1 000 000 chance the old bill recover the stolen goods then I suppose it may help.

How will your partner get it on her? You don't let her mess with your tool(s) do you? :wink:

I want to test my Japanese chisel...see who made it...

Do you have to grind a bit off and send it to the lab?

:D :D :D

Just get one of those glow under UV pens...

My stuff still has the postcode on it years later!

That way..if they do recover it...they know where I used to live!

Jim

I got fed up with a number of attempts by certain individuals who should have been aborted attempting to steal a motor bike of mine when I lived in Telford.
A large red painted pad lock through the rear sprocket solved that, then they nicked the side panels, after that I ground my name into every part of the bike and its component parts.
The next time the side panels went I found still in the car park!

Roy.

woodsworth":2yvvy5b3 said:
Well finally our area is implementing the DNA spray to uniquely identify your property. I want to get this and put it on my tools as i've already suffered from several thefts.

I have some concerns though. It says that the thief will end up with this stuff on them which is almost impossible to remove. What about me? Will i end up with it all over myself? Will i in turn get it all over my partner? I don't think she will like the idea of lighting up like a Christmas tree with this stuff on her. What are the health risks of this stuff? Does anyone know?

I assume it's that SmartWater spray system - what's it costing and are you having to get a firm in to fit it? Or is someone supplying it, for you to fit? Hope you don't mind me asking.

http://www.selectadna.co.uk/

You buy the kit and spray it on yourself. There is no annual fee. To do 50 items it is £50 to buy a sign to show you are using the system it is £9.50. They say it reduces thefts by 85%. Makes you think that if it is so good why isn't it offered free? If everything was coated in this stuff they could effectively trace back every thief to every break in they done if they get caught for any crime.

I just worry about how it is transferred. If i touch my tools can i get this stuff on my partner when i next touch her? You want to put it somewhere you know that the thief is going to touch it so i would imagine i'm going to touch that spot as well. And if it can't be washed off it means i'll be covered in it by the end of the day.

Back