Segmented bowl/platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobajobob

Established Member
Reaction score
A little quiet lately.
Here's something I made some time ago but may be of interest.
Quilted mahogany, blackwood and elm.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02164.1024.jpg
    DSC02164.1024.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,221
  • DSC02165.crop.jpg
    DSC02165.crop.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • DSC02284.1024.jpg
    DSC02284.1024.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 1,221
A stunning example of character woods there, shown off to their best by the crisp detail and understated contrast highlights which promote rather than detract.

CHJ":28ckm5i2 said:
A stunning example of character woods there, shown off to their best by the crisp detail and understated contrast highlights which promote rather than detract.

Well put Chas could not agree more. The bowl is just stunning. You have given me an idea what to do with the piece of rippled/quilted mahogany that I have

Thanks Guys.

Looking at the pics it appears that the grain varies in each segment. Part of the beauty of this type of figuring is the satin effect (there's a name for it?) which depends on the direction of view and attitude of the prevailing light. All the segments were sequentially cut from the same board which had incredibly consistent patterning. Seen from above the segments are well matched. Thought I would pre-empt any comments, although anyone with experience of this type of figure will be familiar with the effect. I'm not a big fan of mahogany but this was exceptional. The twisted grain was quite difficult to turn but less so than the large segmented blackwood rings.

Bob

Amazing piece there Bob, imagine that took some time to achieve!

May I ask what finish you used?

Thanks Andrew.
It's been a while since I made it. I think it took about 15 hours. It was only my 2nd segmented piece so there was some head scratching time. Preparing the fragile blackwood pieces was time consuming but I learnt a lot from it.
Finishing is not my forte I'm afraid. I used plain old cellulose sanding sealer and wax (woodwax22). It worked OK though.

Bob

Wouldn't even know where to begin making that, other than putting on my smock :)

Coley

ColeyS1":23rsvzkv said:
Wouldn't even know where to begin making that, other than putting on my smock :)

Coley

I didn't until I started it. That's what it's all about.

ATB Bob

Back