Seeking an additional hole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
I saw a video some time ago, showing a router table that had an additional hole in the top just past the cutter. About 6" or so, to act as an additional dust extractor in addition to the one over the cutter.

As usual, I cannot find it again and wondered if anyone had information about the best position for making this, or point me towards the video please.
Malcolm

I tried that. was not impressed with the extraction. The shavings kept blocking up on the 90 degree angle into the table top.
I've gone back to a 62 mm hose branched out from the main pipework directly to the back of my new UJK fence and I'm very pleased with that.

Bit of a digression, as I guess this isn't the second router table hole you were thinking about, but it's such an ingenious solution it's worth sharing.

A common problem with router table work is when you need a stop attached to the fence to make a cut of a predetermined length, but dust builds up in front of the stop which results in the cut being fractionally shorter than it should be.

I've always put a bevel on the underside of the stop (no good if you've got loads to do, before long the bevel will get full of waste), or been meticulous about brushing the dust away (tiresome and dangerous if you leave the router spinning).

Here's a clever alternative solution, the maker who was doing production work rigged up a pipe as a stop, and then just connected the other end of the pipe to a vacuum cleaner...problem solved!

Router-Table-Stop.jpg

Attachments

• Router-Table-Stop.jpg
    Router-Table-Stop.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 178
Yes, Steve's video is one, but the one I was referring to, the hole was a few inches beyond the plate a little closwer to the fence position, with with a vac attached. They both seem do the same thing, but perhaps it's more trial and error to find the best position. I had thought that a few small holes along base of the fence with a tube and vac attached may work.

A continuing minefield, but thanks for the reminder on Steve's video and if anyone can recall another, please let me know.
Malcolm

Alexam":158wch2p said:
I saw a video some time ago, showing a router table that had an additional hole in the top just past the cutter. About 6" or so, to act as an additional dust extractor in addition to the one over the cutter.

As usual, I cannot find it again and wondered if anyone had information about the best position for making this, or point me towards the video please.
Malcolm

It wasn't this one was it Malcolm?

P1030596.JPG

This was pinched from Steve Maskery, and is attached to my shop vac. I still use the extraction through the fence for most stuff, but the hole ahead of the work piece is very useful when cutting a slot which is isolated from the cut so that there is nowhere for the waste to go.

The hole is where it is as I didn't really want to cut in to an expensive insert plate without knowing how useful it was going to be, and also there is a structural part of the table in the way. It is useful though. Ideally I would cut it nearer the cutter, but still very useful in the current position.

Back