sedwick planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I just picked up a sedwick thicnesser today. However the infeed roller does not grab the wood. Does anyone know how to adjust this? It looks like there are some springs and a nut on the bottom of them and there are some other bolts that look like they adjust something in there but not sure what each one does. It is my first thicknesser and there was no manual with it as it is an old one.

Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with this machine but are you sure there isn't a quick-release lever for disengaging/engaging the feed rollers?

i've had a good look around it and there are no toggles, only a switch for the rollers which gives two speeds. There are two bolts on each roller, that look like they can be turned to raise them and lower them. But what perplexes me is it was working at the previous location, so i'm told.

I had this probem when i brought a second hand one off ebay.
I had to do two things:
1. Clean the rollers with brass brush and wd40 which to be honest solved the issue. Its surprising how much difference this made.
2. I tweaked the spring pressure to get optimum results this just improved the grab a little bit.
Hope this help
Owen

in tweeking the springs did you just turn the nut on the bottom of the spring or the bolt at the top right under the ends of the roller? thanks.

The other thing to do is wax the bed, this makes the timber slide with ease, it is surprising how much difference it can make.
I use the Liberon lubricating wax.

Thanks for the ideas. I cleaned the roller last night and waxed the bed this morning and it works like a charm. My goodness what a machine. I would recommend a sedwick planer to anyone. Very solid, very easy to work on, and really not to many parts that can go wrong by the looks of it.

I noticed a post on magnetic bars to adjust the blades and will this will be my next project for the machine.

Thanks again. This was the second planer i have bought in the last little while, the other one didn't work and i was worried this wouldn't either. Now to get my refund on the other one arg!

Latest posts

Back