Sedgwick MB 12x9, early 2000s era

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve had this PT a while now, and it’s sat unused due to house move etc. Never had any PT before. Straight in at the deep end.
I’m now wanting to get it running, so I’ve been viewing lots of you tube videos to get some ideas. Not much specific to SEDGWICK that I’ve found online to help me gain the confidence to get it up and running. I mean it runs of course… I’m just pretty scared of using it in anger lol. Anyone able to point me to any safety check lists before I start planing.

I’m also keen to look at my options with TERSA, or HELICAL cutter heads. Has anyone got an MB of this era that’s been converted to one of these cutter heads ? I’m after low maintenance and quieter running.
This machine will see me out no doubt, so I’m happy I’ve got a good Un here.
I’m still finding my way around making stuff from wood, been at it thirty plus years I guess on and off.
Hoping this will help me get more creative and able to put rough or reclaimed timber to good use.
Cheers :)

Attachments

• 9A435EF7-4BC2-4393-BA3B-E92BD436B2F2.jpeg
    9A435EF7-4BC2-4393-BA3B-E92BD436B2F2.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 51EF8A35-BAE4-472A-A63D-69669BFF1662.jpeg
    51EF8A35-BAE4-472A-A63D-69669BFF1662.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3C936384-04DD-4605-A8F4-180171C2A78E.jpeg
    3C936384-04DD-4605-A8F4-180171C2A78E.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
You will have only one main concern here, and that is a risk of your finger in the cutter head. So use the guard at all times...

The planer might need setting up. it might be good to go as is. Who knows. When switched off, check few things:
- All blades sharp
- All blade's edges are equal distance from cutter head axis, and parallel to it
- outfeed table parallel to the cutter head
- outfeed table flush to the cutter blade's edge
- infeed table parallel to the outfeed table
- set some reasonable depth of cut (I use 0.5mm)

While planning:
- don't feed the wood through too fast
- don't put too much pressure on the board (bending it out of shape)
- as you feeding it in, pushing the board on infeed table, transition your hands over to the outfeed table, and keep a steady pressure on the wood on outfeed table, fairly close to the guard
- mill the wood that is bowed up, this way you get rid of the high point on the edges, and work your way through to the middle. The other way round is a bad idea.

There is also plenty tutorials online on youtube.

Have fun!

Looks like a great machine. New cutter blocks are very costly, an alternative was discussed here. Also for a Sedgwick PT.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/esta-disposable-planer-blades.124704/
Thanks, I’ll certainly have a dig around on these. I realise a new cutterhead is big money, but being quieter will likely mean the difference between it being used regularly or not. Hopefully the cast iron construction on these machines keeps things quieter than a budget version.

You will have only one main concern here, and that is a risk of your finger in the cutter head. So use the guard at all times...

The planer might need setting up. it might be good to go as is. Who knows. When switched off, check few things:
- All blades sharp
- All blade's edges are equal distance from cutter head axis, and parallel to it
- outfeed table parallel to the cutter head
- outfeed table flush to the cutter blade's edge
- infeed table parallel to the outfeed table
- set some reasonable depth of cut (I use 0.5mm)

While planning:
- don't feed the wood through too fast
- don't put too much pressure on the board (bending it out of shape)
- as you feeding it in, pushing the board on infeed table, transition your hands over to the outfeed table, and keep a steady pressure on the wood on outfeed table, fairly close to the guard
- mill the wood that is bowed up, this way you get rid of the high point on the edges, and work your way through to the middle. The other way round is a bad idea.

There is also plenty tutorials online on youtube.

Have fun!
Most kind, exactly the info I needed. There is lots of stuff online for sure ! Too much ha ha.

Thanks, I’ll certainly have a dig around on these. I realise a new cutterhead is big money, but being quieter will likely mean the difference between it being used regularly or not. Hopefully the cast iron construction on these machines keeps things quieter than a budget version.
I have a Wadkin BFT9 surface planer and a DW1150 machine I use as a Thicknesser. They are both a good deal quieter than an old budget machine I had, the wadkin being heavy is the quietest of the two. When the blades get a bit worn the noise level definitely increases as you hear the ‘slap’ contact of each blade cut.

When freshly sharpened both I can use either machine for a quick cut without hearing protection, but I’ll grab some if machining for a long period with heavy cuts.

I have a Wadkin BFT9 surface planer and a DW1150 machine I use as a Thicknesser. They are both a good deal quieter than an old budget machine I had, the wadkin being heavy is the quietest of the two. When the blades get a bit worn the noise level definitely increases as you hear the ‘slap’ contact of each blade cut.

When freshly sharpened both I can use either machine for a quick cut without hearing protection, but I’ll grab some if machining for a long period with heavy cuts.
Nice to know the wadkin is quiet

Back