Seconds out. round 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted pics of a bowl I made from some "walnut" I was given. There was a lot of debate about if it actually was walnut or not. Also several comments stated they were not sure about the detail I added around the top of the bowl. I have taken on board the comments made and hope that this bowl which is made from the other half of the log is considered a better design.

I must say that this piece fought me all the way. The end grain was very punky and it had several splits that had to be filled but eventually I think I have beaten it into submission.

It measures 9 inches diameter and about 3.5 inches deep

1wall.jpg

1wall2.jpg

1wall3.jpg

1wall4.jpg

1wall5.jpg

1wall6.jpg

And here is the First half I did for comparison

walnutlarge1.jpg

walnutlarge2.jpg

walnutlarge3.jpg

Any comments welcome. As a beginner the negative comments are just as useful as they help me learn my mistakes.

Attachments

• 1wall.jpg
    1wall.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1wall2.jpg
    1wall2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1wall3.jpg
    1wall3.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1wall4.jpg
    1wall4.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1wall5.jpg
    1wall5.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 1wall6.jpg
    1wall6.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • walnutlarge2.jpg
    walnutlarge2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • walnutlarge3.jpg
    walnutlarge3.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • walnutlarge1.jpg
    walnutlarge1.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,090
I like the shape, very much a 'user' as opposed to just a 'shower' and the little lift you have added to the base profile.

Whatever the wood it's got character worthy of the effort put into making it.

Thanks Chaz. I agree both are more Users than Showers as they both have cracks that have been filled. It is the 1st 12 inches from one of two 4 foot logs I have. Hopefully the bits from further up the logs will have less cracking and by that time I will have more experience.

Nothing wrong with a user, better an item continues to provide a useful function than sit on a shelf playing second fiddle to a 'WoW' piece that someone else prefers.

Artistic form and unique styles will manifest as and when the mechanics of turning become somewhat automatic and you stop spending brain power on fighting the wood.

I agree with Chas completely, whatever the name of the wood they both look good.

Re the thing about being a "user". I am learning the hard way. It was my ambition to turn out monster impressive bowls, bit of a case of "never mind the quality: feel the width". Truth is after 14-15 inches they become significantly less useful at least so in my home. I have acquired a monster Yew blank which could yield two over 65 Cm diameter bowls. If I did make them I have nowhere suitable to put them. If I cut the blank another way I could get eight 12" bowls plus some spare wood. Sadly I have become resigned into chopping it up.

Edit, spelling mistake.

I agree Woodfarmer. anything larger than 12" diameter is more for show than practical use in the average home. I have already had a few friends on the internet asking me if I would make something and sell it to them but so far I have tried to explain that I am just learning and feel I need to perfect some things before my efforts are worthy of selling. I may just send them a piece as a gift. that way they wont feel cheated if its not up to the standard they were expecting.lol

P.s. Have you seen the cost of mailing something to Australia? Phew!!!!!

woodfarmer":ex4z0ru9 said:
I have acquired a monster Yew blank which could yield two over 65 Cm diameter bowls

Hi

That sounds like you may have enough to make a chair - worth a thought :)

Regards Mick

Your photo's are a little deceptive as the first show a nice shape to the outside and the third and fourth show a different shape. If you could just show a picture side on would appreciate it

procell":1xf2ytvb said:
I agree Woodfarmer. anything larger than 12" diameter is more for show than practical use in the average home. I have already had a few friends on the internet asking me if I would make something and sell it to them but so far I have tried to explain that I am just learning and feel I need to perfect some things before my efforts are worthy of selling. I may just send them a piece as a gift. that way they wont feel cheated if its not up to the standard they were expecting.lol

That may not be the only problem as Australia has some strict import laws best check them out :lol:

procell":3ctehwyl said:

Postage is a real killer.
I live in France and it is rarely sensible to post from UK to France. Screwfix will send smaller items post free is the order value is above £100, but wont send a table saw :(.
It was worth the £5.99 postage from Axminster for two allen keys. one 3mm and the other 4mm (needed to operate my new lathe that came without them. 19p and 36 p respectively from Axi. Locally Euro 5.95 each :(

Spindle":29vuc6bl said:
woodfarmer":29vuc6bl said:
I have acquired a monster Yew blank which could yield two over 65 Cm diameter bowls

Hi

That sounds like you may have enough to make a chair - worth a thought :)

Regards Mick

Don't think my woodworking skills are up to making a chair !

I see what you mean Dalboy. I will take a couple more pics from a lower angle as those do distort the shape

As promised a couple more pics showing the profile better
1wall7.jpg
You can see one of the splits I had to fill in the knot here
1wall8.jpg

Attachments

• 1wall7.jpg
    1wall7.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 869
  • 1wall8.jpg
    1wall8.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 869
Thank you for that procell well turned but now that I have seen the bowl shape I would have curves the bowl a little more to a slightly smaller foot.

This is only my personal view and does not mean I am correct.

Back