second hand spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Advice please on second hand spindle moulders, what's a good brand or specific model? what should I avoid?

just depends on what ur machining.....
had to sell my Wadkin EQ....to move here......It did miles of 10" Oak skirting and achitrav.....
have another big'un with a 4hpx3 phase motor......
plus a very nice as new Kity429.....bought this as I could take it to the job site.....
both very good within their limits....
the only thing I'd say which was a very important add on is a power drive for the wood......

Yes I definitely want a power feed, my friend has one on his and says its a must. just looking at a few on ebay atm. Hammer F3 for 1900 with power feed and Sedgwick SM210 with sliding carriage 2100 but that doesn't have a power feed.

The bigger/heavier the better. Power feed more or less essential unless just doing small stuff like a big router table.

As big and heavy as you can accommodate. I like my casolin f90 and invicta ti14 (scm t160 clone) over my Taiwan 511.

Hi Matty I don’t have the F3 but have had the hammer saw/spindle combination machine for the last 9 years & have found it excellent. I believe the F3 has a tilting spindle which mine doesn’t but as I was very limited for space I went for the smaller machine.
If I was buying a second hand machine I would definitely check for any vibration, my first Wadkin spindle moulder had a very slightly damaged shaft which lead to a lot of vibration when I had a big block on it, if I was in the market I’d definitely want to see a second hand machine working with as big a block as you’ve got running on it before parting with money.

Hi Matty I don’t have the F3 but have had the hammer saw/spindle combination machine for the last 9 years & have found it excellent. I believe the F3 has a tilting spindle which mine doesn’t but as I was very limited for space I went for the smaller machine.
If I was buying a second hand machine I would definitely check for any vibration, my first Wadkin spindle moulder had a very slightly damaged shaft which lead to a lot of vibration when I had a big block on it, if I was in the market I’d definitely want to see a second hand machine working with as big a block as you’ve got running on it before parting with money.
will do for sure, I've contacted the guy and he is a 10min drive away so will ask to see it running with a big block 👍

I have a baby sized Record power one, 3.5 hp. It has coped with all I can throw at it, just.
I do alot of sash windows, casements, french doors, panelled doors etc.mostly heritage type stuff.
I have a Comatic power feed and consider this essential for safety and consistancy of finish, especially on skinny glazing bars.

It will struggle when tenoning large sections like a 55 by 250mm bottom rail and stuff llike that, so often I will take 2 passes at it.
Also the maximum tooling size is allegedly 200mm, I have an Omas panel raising head that is 200mm and it won`t fit in the cavity so I had to make a sub base for it, this is run in 2 passes as well to safe the motor.

Criteria for a new one if I had any money would be as follows.
Necessary:
As big a motor as I can get, good design of sliding carriage, capacity for larger tooling, power feed.
Nice to have:
Tilting spindle, well designed fence with repeatability and measurements on it, quick change spindle with spare spindle or 2.

Depends on the work you are doing for smaller work the Record is fine but I would recommend something with a capacity of 300mm tooling to be safe.

Both the Hammer and Sedgewick will probably be decent machines, a power feed can be added to any so I wouldn`t worry about that too much.
Tooling and extras like ring fences is where the money goes.

Ollie

Last edited:
if you can get all the bells and whistles. sliding carriage is great but not as important if you have tenoner. I like tilting as it allows a planed finish on odd angles. much more useful than you'd think. I've got an scm t40 and it's a small mid machine at 3kw. it won't take 15 by 40 rebate in one hit but will in 2 easy.
as mentioned get a power feed. dust extraction essential to.
reverse is useful but mine doesn't have it. mine was like new when it came and without a block it was dawn near silent.

if you can get all the bells and whistles. sliding carriage is great but not as important if you have tenoner. I like tilting as it allows a planed finish on odd angles. much more useful than you'd think. I've got an scm t40 and it's a small mid machine at 3kw. it won't take 15 by 40 rebate in one hit but will in 2 easy.
as mentioned get a power feed. dust extraction essential to.
reverse is useful but mine doesn't have it. mine was like new when it came and without a block it was dawn near silent.
You are correct but a tenoner is an additional couple of grand minimum plus tooling, and it takes up space. I do wish mine had a tilting function.

Ollie

I only paid £200 for my multico(I did rebuild it tbf)

the tilt function could mostly be done with an angle block. only with deeper stuff(say the corner on an angled bay) does it really come in. it can be useful for mouldings occasionally as well.

Matty, what do you plan to use the spindle for?
Last year I sold a small Elektra. I bought this mainly for cabinet work. I ran it with a variable groover for door panels, a rebate block that easily coped with 3/4" square rebates and the heavier mouldings my 1850 watt table mounted Elu router preferred to do in a couple of cuts. I had it mounted on a plywood base with castors and sat a bag of large shingle in it to stop it moving when making heavy cuts. It coped with all I asked of if.
Unless you are aiming at large scale production runs I think you will be surprised what the smaller machines will do for a very small outlay.

Colin

I just bought a wadkin bursgreen moulder from a guy down the road, and he gave me all his cutters etc, result. its a sturdy bit if kit, runs perfectly and it was pretty cheap so I think it's a good investment for me right now. Thanks for all your comments guys, all v helpful!

I know nothing about spindle moulders - other than many many years ago I was told they were dangerous things - but I saw this ad for an electra beckham 30mm one on Facebook marketplace £350 open to offers, I have no idea of price or features but thought I'd share it, but now I see an old Bursgreen (3 phase) one on ebay for £76 so I assume second hand ones not exactly two a penny but not as expensive as I imagined.

Back