second hand hegner buyers beware !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Australia and have just bought a used Hegner Multicut-2 saw. I have not owned one before and not having read this thread I have bought a machine manufactured in 1988.

The seller didn't know much about the saw and told me it belonged to her deceased brother and that the family was selling all his tools.

Unfortunately for some unknown reason it was listed at a Model 18S which it is definitely not. However, it appears to be in good condition and the price of 126 pounds sterling seems fair.

Now considering my purchase.

1. I have a saw with thirty two centimeter throat compared to forty six centimeters for the later model.

2. It has only one speed.

3. It does not have a quick release lever.

4. It does not have a light or vacuum cleaner attachment.

Obviously nothing can be done about the throat size but I understand an independent speed controller could be used. It wouldn't be hard to add a light or vacuum cleaner attachment but has anyone got thoughts about the quick release lever.

On a different note I have started using the saw and noted that installing a new blade seems to require a lot of fiddling. The end of the blade only goes into the holder for a short distance and then hits the tensioning bolt and the holder is not shaped internally to specifically hold the blade in a vertical position. Are there other holders available perhaps made by another manufacturer that are easier to use?

Looking forwards to reading any responses to this post.

Hello Ian (is it Ian) :)

Regarding your saw.

1) not much you can do about throat size.

2)The motor on Hegners are Induction type you cannot use an independent speed controller (it has to be part of the motor circuit) However many people manage perfectly well on single speed.

3) The Quick release lever is very good but again you can manage perfectly well without one, I understand you can change this by buying a top arm but it is expensive, it's well worth getting the quick release top clamp though (piecework clamp).

4)Neither the absence of light or vac attachment is a problem, you can easily buy an adjustable light attachment (with magnifier if you wish) and fit it to your table and as regards the vac attachment I have never found the dust from any of my fretsaws to be a problem and never used any dust collection on them. However if you want to use dust extraction it's very simple to make and rig up your own system using a domestic vac using various bits of pipe and tubing even plastic bottles from the kitchen can be used for various sizes of connection or tubing. Make sure you use a quiet vac though, one of my pleasures of using my Hegner is that it is very smooth and quiet and I would hate having a vac running all the time it is in use spoiling the experience!

Sorry if my comments are not very positive but at least you have a top quality saw to use. :D

I have to agree with all that Scrimper has said.
I have an older version Hegner Multicut 2 saw.
Personally I don't find that I require a quick release tensioner for the top arm.
I have purchased a quick release blade clamp which is great for quick blade changes and especially when doing pierced fret work.
Some of us on here have also modified the dust blower with a flexible machine coolant tube which works better than the original set-up.
Parts were sourced from suppliers on Ebay for the dust blower modification for around £10 or so as I remember.
ps. If you need to order parts from a Hegner supplier it's usual practice to reference the Hegner Multicut 1 parts list for your older version Multicut 2 requirements as they are essentially the same saw.

Thanks Scrimper and Roughcut for your responses which were in no way negative and entirely positive!

I have been searching the net regarding my difficulty in installing the blades. I found out that my machine is missing the blade clamp holder that should be attached at the front right hand edge of the machine. I can buy another one in Australia from the distributor but it will cost me "a full arm". Now that I am aware of how it is made I will fabricate something that will do the job. (I might even make it from timber using my scroll saw!)

Returning to the original post it is unfortunate that Hegner has chosen to to use the name Multicut-2 which they used over twenty six years ago on their current range. Sellers are entitled to advertise their Hegner using the model number on the name plate. To a novice all the machines look alike and thus the great bargain buy may not be as good as one thought.

Hobartian":3942thum said:
I found out that my machine is missing the blade clamp holder that should be attached at the front right hand edge of the machine. I can buy another one in Australia from the distributor but it will cost me "a full arm". Now that I am aware of how it is made I will fabricate something that will do the job. (I might even make it from timber using my scroll saw!)

Would you like some photos and/or measurements?

BugBear

Thanks Bugbear for your offer to provide a pictures and dimensions of the blade clamp guide. That would certainly be helpful.

I would also like to know more about the Quick Release Clamp Part No 110000450.
Is this clamp the same as the standard blade clamp only with knurled knob and thus does not need a tool to tighten it? I was hoping it would have provision for easily inserting the blade without possibility of the blade being held out of alignment.

I did some internal cutting today and reconnecting the top end of the blade for each new cut was a real chore and held me up considerably.

The other query relates to the Quick Release Tension Rod Assembly which my saw does not have. I read online that a bicycle quick release axle can be used for this function. However, re-tensioning the blade did not hold me up much so this is of lesser importance to me.

Thanks

Hobartian":3ggioowq said:
Thanks Bugbear for your offer to provide a pictures and dimensions of the blade clamp guide. That would certainly be helpful.

overall.jpg

with_rule.jpg

below.jpg

The basic block is 42 x 25.5 x 10 (in mm).

BugBear

Attachments

• overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 1,889
  • with_rule.jpg
    with_rule.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 1,888
  • below.jpg
    below.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,888
Hobartian":1c63htam said:
I would also like to know more about the Quick Release Clamp Part No 110000450.
Is this clamp the same as the standard blade clamp only with knurled knob and thus does not need a tool to tighten it? I was hoping it would have provision for easily inserting the blade without possibility of the blade being held out of alignment.

This is the piecework or quick release clamp.............. http://www.hegner.co.uk/Quick-Clamp-for-Piercework

It really is essential in my opinion, it is expensive for what it is (usual with Hegner parts) if you are handy you might be able to make one yourself from odds and sods in the workshop, it's basically a normal blade clamp with a threaded bolt with a knurled knob on the end and replaces the allen type screw.

In the info it mentions that it has rotating bearing surfaces within the clamp and the new ones do have this feature, however mine is an early one and it's just a bolt with a Knurled knob and it works 100% perfectly without any rotating bits!

If I wanted one I would make my own rather than spend £20+ p&p on one.

Back