hegner 2s to buy or not to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
been tempted by a couple of ebay 2s scroll saws or buying a new one

I still not decided but came across some interesting conclusions when decided what I would gain if I upgraded from the base model

I long assumed that the base model was an 80 watt motor and the 2s is a 100 watt motor and when looking at the description on the hegner website it indeed says 80 watt for the h 1

but further down the page and on the comparison chart it states the base model as having a 100 watt motor

so only one way to find out so I looked at my machine motor plate and the heg 1 is indeed a 100 watt motor

I also realised the table size is pretty much the same size and if you look at the website the front part of machine to the blade is pretty much identical

I looked on the parts list and the pivot bearings are the same on both models

so what is different I hear you ask ? well the table is more square at the back but length and width at front are almost identical

the casting that holds the arms is bigger and higher to allow for a 5/8 increase in cutting thickness and the blue arms are longer and you get a 4 inch increase in throat

the quick release lever is at the front instead of the back and two stroke settings ( although I just realised the m 1 has two stroke settings 12mm and 15 mm) as opposed to 12 and 19 on the 2

enough difference to make me upgrade ? the jurys out at moment for my needs probably not

there is not as much of a upgrade as I thought I assumed the motor would be more powerful and the table wider they are the things that would have me more inclined to upgrade.

I give it some more thought 8)

There are a couple of items that I was not aware of,I didn't realize that I had two stroke lengths on my Hegner Multicult 1 and the motor was 100 watt.Thirty year old machine operated by a 75 year old and only just found this out.Just shows you what a wealth of information that can be found on this site.Thank you.

Bryan

Mark, would you be upgrading for upgradings sake? If your saw does everything you want, what would be the point? (Says me, with 4 saws and looking at another on Ebay)

Not aimed at you, but I love Martin Lewis' mantra

If you are skint, ask youself:
Do I need it?
Can I afford it?
Have I checked if it is cheaper anywhere else?

If you aren't skint, ask yourself:
Will I use it?
Is it worth it?
Have I checked if it's cheaper anywhere else?

If any answer is no, don't buy it.

Brilliant mantra, and one I have ignored every time I bought anything. :mrgreen:

I can't talk; I have 4 band-saws in my workshop! and 3 fretsaws oh and 2 Radial arm saws! :shock:
I forgot the 2 table saws!

yeah I was surprised it had two stroke lengths and 100 watt !

well scrimper the only thing leading me towards upgrading would be variable speed , now I know what I know just upgrading to the multicut 2 would be pointless really

another option would be to upgrade to the m1 variable speed

variable would be handy for thinner work

it puzzles me when they tout the heg 1 as hobby use when it has same table (almost ) same motor, and same pivot bearings as a mul 2

it would be nice wth better quick release and variable speed but 800 notes (gulp) on the 2s v

mac1012":2vrd9rlk said:
it would be nice wth better quick release and variable speed but 800 notes (gulp) on the 2s v

Don't sound much if you say it quickly! It's good but way overpriced IMHO. Then again as my daughters constantly point out I am living in the past and stuff goes up! :shock:

scrimper":18navv9b said:
mac1012":18navv9b said:

Don't sound much if you say it quickly! It's good but way overpriced IMHO. Then again as my daughters constantly point out I am living in the past and stuff goes up! :shock:

having just bought this model your daughters are right, stuff does go up, and although its a nice machine definitely not worth £800 for the spec you get..

You do realise don't you that if you have one of these machines you cannot EVER let it break down in public ?

We all seem to agree that Hegners are overpriced, not sure if it's down to what Hegner charges or the mark-up the distributors add, either way what it needs is for a company to manufacture a decent quality machine for around the £400 mark and I don't mean taking a cheap Chinese made one and putting on a massive mark-up as often happens in the UK.

I suppose the problem is that although most of us here are Scroll-saw aficionados most of the 'unwashed' public would not know what one was without looking it up on google! Hence they don't sell in large enough quantities for a manufacturer to make their own version, so Hegner have it pretty well sewn up! :)

Just for the record my Multicut 1 s has only one stroke length,I found only one threaded hole in the flywheel to screw the allen screw into( when the screw worked loose )If I had two sroke lengths there would have been two threaded holes to choose from.

Bryan

brian there is two on mine , don't know whether they changed it or how old your model is but what I do know is the second hole is very hard to see on this model the link arm almost covers the second hole and there is only a very tiny part of it showing visible in very bright light on first glance you wouldn't see it but if you look closer you can just see the thread when you unscrew bolt and take the link arm away it reveals the second hole unless the earlier models didn't have it I took a picture I will post it tomorrow

mark

Mark I had a good look at the flywheel using the light off the machine only one threaded hole.My machine No is 926477.I am not unduly worried in only have one stroke length,and very happy with the performance of the machine.

Bryan

ive no doubts your happy with your machine bryan , still its good to know the new hegners have got it along with the 100 watt motor makes it a better spec for money and a well capable saw along with the older ones of course

if your flywheel ever breaks or you feel like a upgrade the newer wheel with two holes will fit your machine :lol:

the other hole I never used much will give me a longer stroke I may experiment with it after Christmas when the orders have died down a bit

mark

Back