Sealey Machinery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of Sealy machinery? I would like to upgrade my elderly drill press, and this caught my eye:
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Pillar-Dri ... tegory=537

My neighbour has a Draper, which is actually quite excellent (rather to my surprise, I have to admit) but then it is top of the range.

Any other recs? I'm not impressed with the wide selection at Ax. :(

Hi Steve, Yes we use mainly Sealey machinery at work and although it is motor vehicle based it is pretty good quality. Our fitters are on the whole a heavy handed lot and we do occasionally replace them but they do take a lot of hammer. Hope this helps. :wink:

we have a sealy morticer at work that doesnt take the same chisels as every other machine and we cant seam to get the collet to change it :?

Hi Steve,
I have the Sealey Premier PDM155B which is the bench mounted version.
it is a real beast of a machine and has never let me down. Its quiet in operation, excellent chuck and full speed range and the built in light is really useful.
The table height adjust is smooth and easy although my cast table doesn't have a centre hole but that didn't prove to be an issue for me as I added a table and fence as soon as it was delivered.
In my opinion its as good as they come and you wont be disappointed.
You can see some shots of it in the workshop :-
beejay

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Thank you gentlemen
It seems that it may be worth considering.

I think I'll also nip over to Derby to see what Jaymac have on offer. I have to get a wheel kit pretty quickly anyway, as I have an Excalibur arriving unexpectedly and I have to find a home for it. Hence the workshop reorganizing on the hoof!

I've also been reading a few past threads on this about buying S/H, so I might keep my eyes open for that option too.

Thank you all very much.

Steve Maskery":1bpfzciw said:
as I have an Excalibur arriving unexpectedly and I have to find a home for it.

VVVVVVVVVRrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm

Aam

Alf":15oyoimg said:
Are you sure it's not a legacy of being Albert The Magic Rabbit and you had it up your sleeve all along...? :lol:

I thought it was JFC who mentions the Legacy?

That reminds me, I've found some photos. Not from 1975, unfortunately (or, more probably, fortunately) but from about 1992. I don't know who the thin guy is but the rabbit is definitely Albert.

Hi Steve, Just wanted to give another vote in favour of Sealey although as with mailee I only really have experience with their mechanical engineering stuff. The equipment I've had tended to be a bit on the 'agricultural' side but I would say was good value for money and generally over engineered in the best british tradition.

Steve

Hi Steve,
The drill press looks identical to a lot of others out there in the market place, rebadged but with a price hike.
Although Sealey supply some good items ito the garage trade, imho I'm not convinced with the drill press & a few other items.

you'd be better off buying a s/hand ex engineering workshop etc imho.

Dammn can't type quick enough :D :D

Thank you

Actually I've just called a local machinery dealer (about something else, as it happens) but asked him if he had any drill presses in. "Lots", he replied, from schools, apparently. Boxford, Meddings etc. So I might go along and have a look, they are not far away at all. He's emailing me a list.

Back