Sea Air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
It has long been a desire of mine to live by the sea.

What, I would like to know, is the effect of sea air on stored timber and for that matter furniture.

Dom

Doesn't seem to bother boats too much . I think the MC may be a little higher but unless you have a workshop on the beach i don't think the salt will be a problem .

Dom

I live over looking the sea, the beach is about 10 minutes away, I don't notice any difference due to the air apart from it being nice and fresh.

I keep a good stock of wood and the moisture content is the same as someone living inland.

Hope this helps.

As with Waka's place, I can see the see from the workshop door and walk down there in about ten minutes. Timber stored in my workshop seems to be nicely acclimatised I haven't ever had any problems moving timber from the workshop to the house. Though timber in the house does split and warp - due to the central heating I think. Down in the unheated workshop all is well all year round.
Haven't got a moisture meter so couldn't give you the specifics but all seems ok. The biggest worry I have is rust.
Cheers Mike

Same here Dom, I am on the coast within wolking distance and there are no problems with my wood. Unless of course I buy it from B&Q, he he. :wink:

The sea is just over the road from us. In fact we surrounded on 3 sides by it, and I have no problems at all.

Cheers

Mike

DomValente":1yuhakqd said:
Thanks for your answers gents, I'm assuming that you have all lived inland at some stage, so can make the comparison?

Dom

er nope :lol: Well I have lived inland but never paid much attention to the timber around me at that point in time - didn't have room for a workshop in those days. B&Q 's a bit inland from me though and their wood's rubbish if that's anything to go by :)

Cheers Mike

Oi! you lot. Stop it. Some of us are about as far from the sea as one can get in this country.

Andrew
(who grew up less than ten minutes from the sea (when the tide was in))

Dom, bare in mind that in a couple of years when the icecaps give up the ghost, and the doom-mongers get their wish, every coastal village in the UK will go the way of Atlantis :)

Sea air, that's one of the things I miss from living down South. I always lived by the sea, up until we moved to Lincoln the other year. Now the closest we've got is skegness which just isn't the same....

Anyway back on topic, although I didn't store much timber in my tiny workshop in Worthing, I never had any problems with it and I haven't noticed any differences up here either.. Not sure if that helps???

ByronBlack":2xnwd911 said:
Dom, bare in mind that in a couple of years when the icecaps give up the ghost, and the doom-mongers get their wish, every coastal village in the UK will go the way of Atlantis :)

Not that old global warming chestnut again.

Charley":288juum0 said:
Now the closest we've got is skegness which just isn't the same....
Come, come, is it not famously bracing! :wink:

I'll gladly swap lots of sea near here for inland; at least it'd offer travel in more than one direction to get the hell out of it. :roll: Anyway, Dom, what would all the well-off ladies-who-lunch in their 4x4s do without you?

Cheers, Alf

I lived in Cornwall like Alf until about 10 years ago....worst thing I ever did, can't wait to get back. Wood seemed unaffected but salt air played havoc woth tools unless I kept them oiled. My Landrover had it's chassis permanently covered in 2" of bitumen to protect it (mind you I used it to pull tourists boats out of the water so they didn't have to get their pretty Shoguns dirty :lol: ) Also Cornwall tends to be damp wherever you go. Alf can probably give you more as she has loads of older tools that probably are prone to rust if not looked after.

Pete

Back