Scroll saw - frustrations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this scroll saw a year now, I reckon I've done about 5 or 6 projects on it, nothing too difficult.

912WqaF2%2BvL._SL1500_.jpg

To be honest, I really don't see the point! It's more frustration than it's worth.

A typical scroll saw session goes like this...

6mm MDF, start the scroll saw and begin the cut. chugga chugga chugga chugga going ok this, start to turn a corner chugga chugga chatter chatter chugga chugga BANG!
that's the blade snapped. New blade fitted, off we go again... chugga chugga chugga chatter chatter snatch and BANG!

I've had enough. It's going.

Hi Lee. Scroll sawing can be a bit frustrating, as you have found out. There are many things to take on board when people start to scroll saw. Firstly your saw is not the best in the world. Its made in the far east and record have just put their label on it, all there machines come like this now and many other firms are doing the same although your saw is one of the better ones.

With 6mm MDF there should never be a problem, even on your saw. What you could do to help over come the problem is to firstly polish the table with something like Liberon lubricating wax. If what you are making with the MDF has internal cuts sand off the botton after you have drilled the entry holes. It is surprising what effect the break out has if you don't sand the holes. The MDF needs to be as flat as possible. Blades often break when turning in tight turns. To make the operation smoother you could cover the MDF with clear packing tape, this will help stop heat building up in the blade and it will also cut faster. I suspect the main problem though is cheap blades. If you were to use Flying Dutchman blades you would see a big difference. I hope this helps and that you have a few more goes at it before you decide to pack it all in.

somethings not right either with you machine or blade but sounds like blade to me , you should be able to put a piece of mdf on there and just cut it without having to do anything to it

I guess this is why we advise people against cheaper end machines , and I have been there (hammer)

having said that you should be able to do some basic cutting , when you say it chatter when turning is it the whole machine or just the blade ? have you got machine bolted down ?

what size blade are you using ? if its a really thick blade pinned and a tight turn it will not like it , I never had a blade break on a turn in fact I hardly ever broke a blade in three years
also where the blade breaks will give you a good idea whats going on it maybe to little or too much tension
I think it must be something straight forward that you can fix

maybe a daft question but have you got the blade in the correct way ? if not it will snatch like crazy

also if it a really coarse blade and 6mm mdf you should have at least 2 or 3 teeth in the work piece if not it will snatch and vibrate a lot more

As Chippy says, although that saw has the name Record on it the saw is no better than the dirt cheap ones from places such as screwfix/Wickes etc that can be had for around the £40-50 price level.

I have a Wickes version on my workbench at the moment* and I can tell you that if I had to do fretsawing on the thing I would have given up after a few mins!

Not only will a decent quality saw cut through the wood quickly and efficiently it will be a real pleasure to use; in fact though I own several bandsaws inc a smaller one I much prefer using my fretsaw/scrollsaw.

Looking at the picture it looks like it is using pin type blades more like a coping saw blade rather than the normal fretsaw blade which does not help to start with.

A quality fretsaw with a decent blade is a joy to use.

IMHO Record Power should hang their heads in shame at the badged junk they sell today compared to the quality stuff they used to produce in Sheffield!

(*I didn't buy it!)

the blades I use are a Silverline Scroll Saw Blades, 24tpi, 10 pack for £3.25
they always break about half an inch from the top anchor point.

The blade is in the correct way too, so it cuts on the down stroke.

As for tension, I twist the tension knob until the blade pings, maybe too much?

scrimper":12i0b48h said:
IMHO Record Power should hang their heads in shame at the badged junk they sell today compared to the quality stuff they used to produce in Sheffield!

that could explain while I was looking for a scroll saw an old friend said I MUST go with record. Record are the best, you'll never have any problem with Record machines.

hmmm guess he was referring to the 'good old days'.

Lee, I'd put money on the blades being at fault. I have some similar blades and the same saw badged as a Jet from Axminster. I can manage to use the blades if I reduce the tension quite a lot, but if you go too far they snap anyway, you have to strike a happy medium. Good blades such as the Flying Dutchman/Niqua will allow much more tension without snapping and make your "cheap " saw much more usable. You can buy Niqua blades from the Hegner website to try them. If you get on with them, you could then order the Flying Dutchman blades from Mike in the USA. Even Olson blades, if you can get any local, will make a big difference.

I've done a fair amount of decent work on my Jet saw, so don't give up on it yet.

Martin.

Hi all, just a my 2 pennysworth re Record scroll saws. The one pictured above is one of the many clones from the east which are all basically the same just in different colours and makers markings. I have a Record Power Scroll 20 which, while being in the same livery, was made in the US by RB Industries. RB were the originators of the machines that now bear the Hawk brand and red livery. The label on my machine says 'Made by RB industries, Harrisonville MA for Record Sheffield' Try googling Hawk BM20/26 to compare....they are identical. My Hegner using friend laughed when I told him what I had bought ( 2nd hand) but soon changed his mind when he reluctantly agreed to give it a try. He was almost as green as the saw! 2 models were available, Scroll 20 and Scroll 26 ( throat sizes inches) and have variable speed, quick release tension and quick change blade clamps top and bottom. There have been a few for sale recently on the 'auction site' for reasonable money......I guess folks just see the green livery and assume 'Chiwanese'. I certainly wouldn't swap mine, does all I ask of it, and more.....if I had the skill!

Lee J":2h9t2c6b said:
the blades I use are a Silverline Scroll Saw Blades, 24tpi, 10 pack for £3.25
they always break about half an inch from the top anchor point.

The name Silverline explains a lot TBH. Sadly I found the quality of any Silverline product that I have bought to be very poor indeed and I now avoid anything with that brand name on them, I bought some Silverline power-sanding belts and each and every one I tried snapped in two a few mins after starting, I bought a Silverline water pump which went down with an earth fault after a few hours work!

Its a shame that RECORD is not what it used to be,it stood for quality and long life of its products.It is criminal that someone can used a BRITISH name and produce ----it is a crime.

Bryan

just my bit
this is my record saw
l have never had a problem
20130602_064535.jpg

see some of the thing l make f/b link below

Attachments

• 20130602_064535.jpg
    20130602_064535.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3,359
Speaking as the now happy owner of a cheap old Sealy saw I have been through the same frustrations as the op.
I also had a period of time when trying to cut sharp corners the work piece would start flapping about like a tarpaulin in a gale.
The main problem was that the blade was not running square to the table at it's sides I spent a long time modifying the position of the blade clamps to overcome that problem.
I purchased some Niqua blades from Hobbies that I have found to be very good but it takes trial and error to find what size blade is best for the material you are using and the type of cutting you are doing.
Lastly scroll sawing takes practice and the op says that he has used his saw 5 or 6 times in a year and that is not enough to gain the experience needed to overcome the problems.
I almost gave up with it but reading a lot on this forum and putting it into practice I now enjoy it all be it at a level below some of the work some of the forum members can achieve.
My advice is if you want to be able to get enjoyment from you saw is to accept that you will need to experiment and practice on simple things and move on as you get better at it as you will.

Hi cowboy682 your is the same as mine, quality machines, would recommend to anyone.

Hi jaypee
l would recommend this saw to any-one l don't know how much you paid for yours l paid £150-00 for pure bliss l started off with a deco flex think l paid £120-00 no brainer,

The Record saw that cowboy has is not to be compared to any that Record 'market' today, I realise that Record did not actually make the saw in their own factories however it was a quality made machine and Record would not have put their name on it if it was not one of the best, however today's Record have no qualms about putting their name on anything that makes them large profits no matter how poor is the quality.

It makes me very sad that the once great Record company has come to this, the downward slide started when the American tool company bought them out; closed the brand new £2million forge that Record had built and moved production to Taiwan.

Its all been said, you have be given valuable advice in all of the above posts. Scroll sawing is practice, practice and more practice.

I have been power scroll sawing for many years, but before that I started with a hand saw, then called a fret saw, (scroll is the American name) when given one for a birthday or Christmas present when I was about eight or nine, I am now seventy and can still get frustrated. In fact only this morning I gave up and did something else, because I could not cut on a line to save my life, but hopefully I will go out tomorrow and be back on form again. (hammer)

Take care.

Chris R.

Hi cowboy, Huddersfield, we're neighbours! Paid a measly £57 for mine off the 'auction site' plus fuel for 100 mile round trip, was like new when I picked it up and could barely keep the grin off my face. I'm not an out and out scroller but use mine for mainly cutting birch ply gear wheels and other intricate parts for the wooden clocks I make. I started with a second hand 18" Axminster single speed which was ok but not a patch on this.

ChrisR I agree, some days I can cut to the line with one eye shut and a used blade...the next day couldn't follow a conga! Deep breaths, a cuppa and a change of task usually helps. Leave it and come back later is good advice.

Latest posts

Back