Scribing strips

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_N

Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question but I can't see an easy way to do this. I have fitted some bedroom furniture and I have wall cupboards either side of a chimney breast. I have a gap of around 50 mm between the chimney breast and the cupboard side. The chimney breast is only about 200 mm deep and the cupboard is 300 mm deep and I know I need to scribe the filler strip to get a good fit but I can't figure out the best way to do it seeing as the cupboard projects further out into the room than the chimney breast. I hope that makes some sense to someone who will come along with a perfectly simple way to finish this job.

I think I would try this:

Cut a piece of ply or mdf at 45mm so that it fits in the gap and scribe the profile onto that. If you cut out the profile, you can then transfer it onto the final piece. I would cut it slightly oversize and then plane the square edge until it fits.

I hope that made sense.

Cheers Simon, that makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought of putting in a narrower strip to get the profile, I'll give it a go.

Back