Screws for loose beads?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of using very small screws (probably Spax type, passivated) to secure some loose beads on some Ash exterior doors. I know that security wise it would not be ideal but the glass is siliconed in. I figure that if I ever need to change the glass it would be a good idea, plus, I would rather not use pins that will rust. Any thoughts? :)

I thought the same way when I made a replacement window a while ago, and put small screws in. I wish I hadn't.

If you are working in ash, I assume you won't be painting over the heads, so the appearance can stay tidy. But think ahead a few years - if any of the screw heads gets too graunched to remove, you won't be able to lever the beads off without a splintery mess. I'd keep it simple and use brass pins, even if that means drilling tiny pilot holes first.

Andy

I have often used brass cups and screws for fixing glazing beads.

Dennis

They wont if they ARE brass, but a lot ain't, they are sometimes brassed steel. If in doubt take a magnet with you when you buy.

Roy.

hi krismusic,

why not turn the door around so the loose beads are inside then you could pin the beads in and the security of the door is intact.

woodbutcher

woodbutcher":5aumb1dq said:
hi krismusic,

why not turn the door around so the loose beads are inside then you could pin the beads in and the security of the door is intact.

woodbutcher

The door is a lot more attractive on the side with fixed beads. I never really thought about this when I designed the door. It would have been difficult to incorporate loose beads attractively. I thought that it was usual practice to have them on the outside for that reason.

Beading is usually on the outside. But as a bench joiner for a constructional joinery company, I am starting to see internal glazing on windows and doors more frequently. I think the main reason for external glazing is so that putting the glass in, becomes a cleaner job for the customer and saves carrying the glass around in the house. ( i might be wrong, but I don't fit)

Glazing from the inside saves working on scaffolds and ladders, and is also better for security.

Dennis

Back