Scotland - Independence and Royal Mail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Unless special arrangements are made I see that sending a small parcel (under 2 kilos) to an address in Scotland will go up from £3.80 to £13.85 (same as the N.I./Eire difference). Maybe a small matter amongst all the weighty issues being discussed but nevertheless one than will affect many people.

Why? It hasn't got further away or needs a border crossing(yet) so just money raising exercise

i presume that it reflects the "true cost" of delivery, without any subsidies.

I'd wager my former employer is having a few sleepless nights over this.

Thanks to the internet he was able to move his business from a traditional bricks n mortar shop in Greater Manchester to 100% online in a very remote part of Scotland (7 miles to the nearest shop/pub).

phil.p":1adqkc31 said:
:D Can't England send them their money some other way?
Be careful, the freedom of speech police removed my jovial remark earlier on!

Moderators - very disappointed!

Mod Edit:--Then refrain from bringing party political comments into a subject that has far more serious implications than party political views.

I know it's a serious issue. and the consequences of separation can only be guessed at, BUT, I'm really fed up of the topic on just about every news bulletin. I'm fed up with listening to peoples' opinions- carefully chosen no doubt, to reflect a balanced set of viewpoints in the street. Soon we'll have an American presidential election rammed down our throats - not so important to us but plenty of coverage.

K

Roger, when you say you see an increase happening, can you point us to any mention of it as a plan, or is it just your personal prediction?

An independent Scotland (unless a special arrangement is made) will have to treated by RM just the same as Ireland and mail will charged at international rates.

Some areas of Scotland are already charged more for delivery the same way we are in Northern Ireland even though postal costs are meant to be the same. Even if the Royal Mail weren't to charge more I could see some companies seeing it as an opportunity to do just that.

graduate_owner":mgdf0xv6 said:
I know it's a serious issue. and the consequences of separation can only be guessed at, BUT, I'm really fed up of the topic on just about every news bulletin. I'm fed up with listening to peoples' opinions- carefully chosen no doubt, to reflect a balanced set of viewpoints in the street. Soon we'll have an American presidential election rammed down our throats - not so important to us but plenty of coverage.

K

:roll: We've got seven months of pregnancy news to go, yet.

dc_ni":2c8pou5a said:
Some areas of Scotland are already charged more for delivery the same way we are in Northern Ireland even though postal costs are meant to be the same. Even if the Royal Mail weren't to charge more I could see some companies seeing it as an opportunity to do just that.
I'm constantly posting stuff to all parts of the UK.

I know carriers charge according to postcode but I find Royal Mail prices are always the same whether to Scottish addresses, Northern Ireland addresses or England and Wales.

Here on the Isle of Man we have independance, we have the pound and our postage is at standard UK rates. Carriers /couriers can be another matter and I quite often when ordering online have to request things be sent by post rather than a suppliers usual method to avoid high charges.

There are probably more important issues relating to independence, but one could set up two addresses to redirect bulk mail and parcels - Eyemoth (Scotland) and Berwick (England). Drive 5 miles from one to the other once a day and re-post. Two "local" post charges (one in England and one in Scotland may be a lot less than international rates!

Why is it that Scots people get a vote on their future, but the rest of the British Isles don't get a chance to say whether they want Scotland to be part of Great Britain or not?

Baldhead

RogerP":3li5dzoi said:
dc_ni":3li5dzoi said:
I'm constantly posting stuff to all parts of the UK.

I know carriers charge according to postcode but I find Royal Mail prices are always the same whether to Scottish addresses, Northern Ireland addresses or England and Wales.

Yep, the "Universal Stamp" applies to everywhere.

I think what dc_ni is referring to is other courier's charges to the various regions. Mostly a rip off and to be avoided.

Back