scms i cant make my mind up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mukka

Reaction score
in the market for a new mitre saw, thinking about the bosch gcm 10sd, the electra beckum kgs 303 plus or the dw712,
more concerned about accuracy in cuts and trenching rather than noise, quite concerned on finding the saw with the least play on the rails,
help me chose

mukka":338dpweg said:
in the market for a new mitre saw, thinking about the bosch gcm 10sd, the electra beckum kgs 303 plus or the dw712,
more concerned about accuracy in cuts and trenching rather than noise, quite concerned on finding the saw with the least play on the rails,
help me chose

I've got a Dewalt DW712. It's accuracy is excellent, length of cut is excellent too. There is no play in the bearings on the push pull thats what makes it so accurate whether mitering or compound cuts, even the blade it comes with isn't that bad but I did eventually change that to a frued. Mounted on a good bench with a good fence system it would be hard to beat.

The Bosch one has a really silly depth stop that is fiddly and once set you cannot temporarily not use it - on the Makitas for example, once set you can swing it out of the way then back into place again without having to totally reset it.

My friend has the EB and swears by it, in fact he has just bought a second one.

mark

I've had my Makita LS1013 for several years now and I've given it some stick over that time too. Dead accurate when new, still dead accurate now.

Trenching is easy, but you do need to use a sub-fence to stand the workpiece off the fence in order to get a flat bottom in the trench.

As stated above by Pecker, you can swing the depth stop out of the way for normal cuts, then return to using it as and when. Great saw. :)

Ray.

I have the hitchi FSH 10 " it is very acurate and very well made. It is also on special at axminster and i would reccommend it the silly price they are selling it. Or i think it still so.

Pecker":e1d7cyl6 said:
The Bosch one has a really silly depth stop that is fiddly and once set you cannot temporarily not use it -

Pecker,
I have to tell you that that is not correct.

The Bosch has a depth stop which can be set with a couple of lock-nuts. There is also a red button, which, when pressed, allows the whole depth stop to be slid upwards so it is inactive. When you want it again, just press the red button and push the stop back to its original position.

It's not a brilliant arrangement, sure, and the DW is better in this respect, but it does actually work.

The trouble with depth stops on (I think) all SCMS is the fact that the blade swings down in an arc, so that by limiting this swing, you also restrict the cut at the bence-edge of the board. I miss this aspect of my RAS.

thanks everyone, still cant decide maybe leaning to the bosch with the deal out there but lack of laser is stopping me at the moment, as i used it loads on my last saw

Mukka,

I guess you probably have seen this but the GCM10SD is currently on affer at Axminster for £370 including a stand.

Ed

The new version of the 10sd only available in the states at the moment (and called the 4410L) comes with a laser built in.
Not sure if Bosch plan to release this version in the UK - you could check.
Cheers
Gidon

Another vote here for the Makita LS 1013, but haven't owned (or used) the competion so not a very objective viewpoint. I love it.

Mark

To be honest I only went to buy the Bosch stand as I already had a Makita ls1040 chop saw and a Makita ls1013 sliding mitre saw, but the deal was so good for the saw and free stand that I bought the saw and sold my ls1040.

IMHO the main differences between the ls1013 and the GCM10S are

Makita

1 Spring return on the sliding cross cut means saw is always in the return position with a better feel for cutting.

2 The trenching facility is able to flip out of the way without losing your setting.

3 Fence is closer to blade with a part removable for angle cuts, a bit safer.

4 Other side of blade fence flips out of the way for angle cuts.

5 Start switch has safety button which can be removed to prevent starting by accident.

6 Dust collection into bag not bad.

Bosch

1 Capable of 62 deg mitre cuts ( ideal for roofs etc)

2 Better setting of trenching option but not able to flip out of way.

3 Fence has markings on it for repeat cuts

4 Clip on indexing to disengage for more precise odd angle cuts

5 Bracket that I think is to prevent bits flying around the guard tends to make the sawdust fly everywhere.

Both good saws but apart from the 62 deg mitre cut on the bosch I think the Makita is slightly better.

But the bosch stand and the method of fixing the saw to it is brilliant

Les

I do indeed have the Bosch. Do I need the double-bevel facility? Well I have used it, simply because it's there, but probably, if I'm honest, I <i>could</i> live without it. But why would you want to when the rest of the GCM10SD is so lovely? Big table and fence, all the angle adjustments accessible without grovelling round the back (very useful when it's against a wall), handle angle adjustable to user preference (yeah, I sniggered too. But I use it), all the every day tasks tool-less (but all the tools on board for everything else anyway), quick action work clamp (my only quibble is it's a bit easy to skewer yourself on the upright when snapping home the clamp lever - but I don't honestly see how they'd have got rid of the problem) etc etc. Even the trenching facility isn't hopelessly clunky. It's a great saw and I'm glad I've got it. Just wish Axminster's offer had been around sooner; makes it a flippin' bargain. :( Oh, and it's a big sucker - be warned.

In short, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Lovely bit o' kit.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back