Scheppach ci2500 sawbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Heres a question that one of you mechanically savvy folks may be able to help me with. Until recently I have been more than happy with my Scheppach ci2500 sawbench. However, when I tried to use the miter fence to cut some angled tenons, I realised that as I was making vertical adjustments to the blade height, the vertical angle of the blade changes by a few degrees both when being raised and lowered, this means I cannot control the blade at exactly vertical as every height adjustment causes a vertical angle adjustment also. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment available to correct this or is there something worn which requires replacement?. Or is this something common to this machine which I will have to live with.
Fred

Or is this something common to this machine which I will have to live with.
From my experience yes, it is not adjustable from new and Scheppach UK deny it exists, but all do it, including the bigger model. Your only way of dealing with itis. 1) do not raise the blade to full height which is when it fouls and kicks out of vertical 2) the drift from right to left which amounts to 0.5 mm and is caused by poor design, pressed matal and out of alignment offset push pull to raise and lower the blade putting a bias on the blade mechanism where the only guide is friction of the pressed metal.
You need to learn to only set up to your desired blade position from either raising or lowering to give yourself a consistent setting.
Sorry to sound damning but you need to know if you want to get the best out of what you have. To demonstrate the left/right drift simply get a fresh sheet of A4 paper place it beside the blade and raise and lower the blade a mm or so the drift should be obvious.

Hope that helps Alan

Hi Fred, I spotted this very same thing at the weekend on my TS2500Ci.

If I raise the blade to the very top I can visibly see it step sideways in the last 5mm of travel.

It can't be related to worn parts because my saw is only a few months old and hasn't had a hard life. I read up on this forum and found that this is a common problem to which there seems to be no cure.

I spoke to Alan at NMA last week and they sent me a copy of some hand written notes about setting up the saw, but this issue wasn't covered.

I've mostly used the sliding table and the rip fence, but whilst setting a tapering jig and using the mitre slot as a reference I also noticed the blade isn't exactly parallel to the mitre slots. This is something I also need to sort out, which in turn will throw my sliding table and fence out of square….. Grrrrrrr.

Whilst I’m at it, my mitre slots are very sloppy?

Cheers, Jon

I have the aluminium table version and have just checked mine with the A4 paper method and also with a Dial test indicator and stand and it is within 4 thou from bottom to top so i wonder whether this maybe your saw or just on the Cast Iron version?

Regarding the sloppy mitre slot, i have machined the left slot out to 3/4" to take an Incra gauge and it is now superb.

Hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than having great kit and frustrating setup issues.

jyates":1emrqmem said:
I spoke to Alan at NMA last week and they sent me a copy of some hand written notes about setting up the saw, but this issue wasn't covered.

I spoke to them about this, and he pointed me to some end stop that can come loose. This allows the carriage to travel further than intended, it hits the underneath of the table and causes sideways movement in the blade.

I can't remember the exact details, but I queried it, and he knew (Alan @ NMA) what I was talking about. It was so long ago that I'm hazy on the details but well worth ringing again perhaps?

Adam

Thanks for the help so far. I tried the paper trick this morning and regardless of the height of the blade, when the height is changed then reversed, the blade moves by about 1.5 mm to the side (also the vertical angle changes)
This is hardly conducive to getting tenons cut precisely! However now that I know about the movement I will have to be careful during set up. All a bit annoying as the main selling point for this saw was the dealers claimed "renowned accuracy out of the box"
I noted with interest that Rinky Dink says he has had the miter slot machined out to 3/4", would this be possible on the cast iron bed type and if so where would I be likely to get it done?

Hi,

I would echo that last comment.

I have the smaller 2010 but have real issues with accuracy, it can be set up just right, but takes some time and as soon as you change anything you need to re set up.

I would not buy scheppach again, I want a genuine system that once set up well stays accurate or it's just a waste ot time.

G

Further info about trying to align your blade with the mitre slots. Firstly you need to align your blade with itself. In other words, you need to make a decision on whether you're always going to raise your blade to it's final cut position or lower to cut position. The first factor in this I would say is does either position coincide with alignment to the slot if so then use that method because your next step isn't easy.

There are four bolts under the table two at the front two at the back either side of the semicicular pivot point for the tilting of the blade. I can offer no particular method of how to procede other than slacken them, lever as necessary (without damaging anything obviously) to put the neccessary bias you think you need to be able to align the slots, and then tighten possibly whilst still applying pressure in the direction you need to go. It doesn't seem possible to slacken it a bit, move it to where you want and tighten it easily. I spent a lot of time doing this until I realised what was going on with the blade mechanism, but still had to do it anyway. Rinky dinky try raising the blade all the way to the top, lower it by half an inch, then put your dial guage on it at the leading cutting edge, take a reading and then raise the blade. If you're only getting 4 thou with that method I would be astounded. 4 thou is 0.1mm you should see more like 20 thou unless you are indeed very fortunate.
The handrawn notes from NMA are not covering the problem because the problem is the design. If I recall there is one adjusment which does reduce the full raise heght of the blade which may stop the dramatic effect at the top of the travel, but any time you raise the blade to almost full height and feel resistance there will be movement out of alignment due too the off centre forces of the raising mechanism.

Alan

Hi Fred

I had the same problem with my TS2500CI. I was able to improve the situation dramatically with lubrication. If you look at the arbour bearings you'll notice that it is mounted in a large steel plate. This plate runs over another plate that is mounted to the chassis. Oil in between these plates and wind the blade up and down 5 or 6 times. This took most of the blade deflection away on my machine.

Cheers
Nolan

Hi Fred,
I have the earlier ally tabled version, and it has sufferred from the same problem since new despite lubrication of every moving part I could access. Actually this topic has arisen before and it seems the concensus of opinion is that it's a common problem on these saws and there's precious little you can do about it. Personally I've found that as long as I return the handle to it's "backlash" position after setting the height I don't have an issue with accuracy.

Mark

Back