Scheppach Basato 5-2 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claud1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a modified roller guide system for the above as imo the one that it comes with is a very bad design as the rear wheel runs sideways to the blade and causes it to stop and wear a groove in the face of it. I have tried adjusting it many times but it makes no difference, I am on my second set of guides (also expensive) and after grinding the face flat again the problem still exists.
Regards Claud1

Claud
Whilst it may not be the best design in the world, the Scheppach does work very well. If you are getting a groove worn into it, it must be because it is not turning properly. It should spin freely, which means that you need to take it out from time to time and clean and lubricate it. I've had that same machine since they were first launched, and mine is as good as it was when new.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":14x90f8c said:
Claud
Whilst it may not be the best design in the world, the Scheppach does work very well. If you are getting a groove worn into it, it must be because it is not turning properly. It should spin freely, which means that you need to take it out from time to time and clean and lubricate it. I've had that same machine since they were first launched, and mine is as good as it was when new.
Cheers
Steve

I am now on my third bearing for the rear top bearing
I swapped it for a bearing on the side the last time as it still rotated freely
Yes they are not cheap to buy But then again nothing about Scheppach is cheap to buy LOL
In my experience its not a case of the bearing running freely its a case of the blade tension is too loose
which in turn means that the blade is pushing harder against the bearing than it should
It really is a rubbish design especially on the narrower blades
Would i buy the Machine again ????????
Probably as it does work well and other than the bearing design and the silly little tyre brush I do like the machine

Roger

Roger
I don't understand what you mean.
How does having the tension too loose make the blade push harder? The two are independent of each other, surely? Or am I missing something?
S

If the blade is too loose then it will flex more as you are cutting timber causing the back of the blade to contact the bearing harder than it should do.

When tensioned properly the blade is going to deflect mm's at most
If under tensioned it will deflect cm's which causes the blade to stop the bearing rotating as its putting to much pressure on the bearing face and the groove appears

On the second bearing I replicated this and it took approx 30 seconds to start turning the bearing a bluesh hue as it started to overheat and in less than a minute it had cut a groove of about 2mm straight through the face of the bearing

It's taught me to always check the tension of the blade before i use the machine

Roger

Sorry Roger, I don't agree with your reasoning.
I do agree that the tension should be right, of course, but I don't think it has an important role to play in the longevity of the thrust bearing in the way you suggest.

Just MHO, of course.
S

Hi Roger

Have you rounded off / radiused the back 2 corners of the blade where they contact the bearing when cutting ?

I had a 5-4 machine and did this with my blades to remove the potential for those 2 edges to cut

Steve We will just have to agree to disagree then :p :p
Im right and your not LOL :p :lol: :lol:

Roger

Mr Blister Sir
Yes Its one of the first things i do with any blade

It bothered me when the bearing went as it did hence the reason i deliberatly went out of my way to replicate the problem
( I hate not knowing why something goes wrong )
I tried gumming up the bearing with resin and fine sandind dust from some pine which did make the bearing run rougher but it did still turn
Did not damage the the bearing at all
The only way i could damage it so it looked the same was to de-tension the blade which ment there was more movement in the blade itself

Still that was quite a few years back and since then I havent had another bearing problem but i do always check the tension before use

Roger

Claud1":31978e10 said:
Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a modified roller guide system for the above as imo the one that it comes with is a very bad design as the rear wheel runs sideways to the blade and causes it to stop and wear a groove in the face of it. I have tried adjusting it many times but it makes no difference, I am on my second set of guides (also expensive) and after grinding the face flat again the problem still exists.
Regards Claud1
Claud1, I have the same machine had it for 6 years now it's used everyday cutting 8"-10" square Oak, Meranti, Douglas Fir, etc into planks and have never bought any replacement guides for it.

How are you setting the machine up ? might be something simple we can help you with. Or help sort out a misalignment.

I can't honestly see a need for a change of guide system.

RogerBoyle":35ncfdqe said:
If the blade is too loose then it will flex more as you are cutting timber causing the back of the blade to contact the bearing harder than it should do.

When tensioned properly the blade is going to deflect mm's at most
If under tensioned it will deflect cm's which causes the blade to stop the bearing rotating as its putting to much pressure on the bearing face and the groove appears

Roger
IMHO if the blade is going to deflect mm's then the guides & tension are not set right, if the blade was under-tensioned to deflect cm's then I'd be running out of the workshop faster than the proverbial scalded cat :lol: .

Agreed Butttttttttt
read the rest of my posts
the only way i could replicate the same fault as the original Post was with a badly tensioned blade

My bandsaw is also used daily cutting anything from Plastics to wood but usually for tenons and hardwood veneers

Hi all, first of all thanks for the replies, and I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one to have this problem. I really have spent hours trying to set it so that it runs correctly and done all the things stated but its still not right, I have noticed however that the casting that holds the guides is out of line on one side but I dont see how this would make any difference to the rear bearing. I have the blade set very tight and I know that this does help a lot but sometimes when I cut anything above 50mm sparks start to come off the wheel, the wheel gets hot and if I carry on the wheel stops, it also puts a burr on the edge of the wheel. Over the years I have had cheap bandsaws with cheap guides and never encoutered this problem before so I would appreciate any help Many thanks Claud1.

What size and make of blade are you using
AAAHHHHH before going any further have you adjusted your fence for Blade drift
If you are getting Sparks I'd bet that is the main reason

Try this link to see what i mean( bit long winded but good info just the same) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JowHmdihl-Q

It really is a set up and poor blade problem that you have and is relativley easy to correct

The guides are offsett slightly but that will make no difference to the actuall performance when the saw is set up correctly
All it means is that when you set up a new blade you have to take a bit more care

Roger

Attachments

• Veneer.jpg
    Veneer.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 7,329
Hi Roger, I am using a 25mm Tuffsaws blade and I take a lot of time to set up the guides, fence etc each time I change the blade. The only thing I am not certain of is just how tight I dare tension the blade before it snaps or worse still damages the machine. When I looked at the video I noticed that the rear guide wheel on that bandsaw was running IMO a more realistic way to the blade (not sideways on) like the basato. To be quite honest I am so fed up with it I have been thinking of getting rid of it and buying one with guides like the one in the video. Thanks for your advice I'll have another go at it later. Regards Claud1

I have never used a 25mm Blade in the saw So I dont know how hard it is to tension it up fully
I do know that on a 3/4" Blade it does take quite a bit of force to tension it up on my Saw .
Like you in the beginning i was unsure how much tension to put through everything lol
But after a bit of trial and error I seemed to have the found sweet spot for my machine

Most of my blades are 3/4 " and 1/4 " with differing tooth Patterns
My money is still on not enough tension to the blade as the main culprit and blade drift

Roger

I've been following this but holding back because I don't have a Basato, BUT I do have a well-running bandsaw.

It had been fettled when I got it, but I decided on a full strip down and clean, to start on the right note, so to speak. Whilst doing this, I discovered that the two wheels were out of alignment vertically, and that the bottom wheel wasn't set up to track properly. I had to modify the bottom spindle (file flats on the end opposite the wheel) so that I could hold it in the correct position, etc., but once I'd got it right, it ran (and still runs) really well, with almost no discernable drift, even when I go from 5/8" (biggest practical blade it'll tension properly) to 3/16" for a quick job.

Like you, I use Ian's blades and find them brilliant.

Have you checked the geometry fully? I know it's easier on the Basato, because Steve M uses one to illustrate the process on his video - on my SIP you can't just put a straightedge between the wheels as there are two covers, not the single one of the Basato. I had to use offsetting blocks, but it's a doddle on yours.

My guess is that there is something fundamental wrong with the geometry, causing you to compensate for it elsewhere (e.g. in the top wheel tracking), but in reality causing the issue you're seeing. To cause sparks means there is considerable pressure on the back guide, which CANNOT be right. The only things I can think of to cause that on a correctly set up machine would either be very blunt blades or too fast a feed speed, either of which would be obvious to you (and everything would be complaining).

I'd check the geometry thoroughly from first principles. I'm not a betting man, but...

E.

Hi Eric, Thanks for the reply, I have just been out and checked what you advised and it is spot on, I also checked for movement in the wheels and they are solid, I have had 3 hours this morning trying to get it to run right but no such luck, I have noticed that when it is running (and not cutting)there is about 1mm of movement in the blade back and foward from the rear guide and I dont know if this is normal or not but would expect it is. I have had the machine about 4 years but have been put off using it a lot of the time because of the problem and also spent hours on end trying to rectify it . I am very happy with the cuts and the power etc its just this bearing thing. I personally think it could be the casting that holds the guides because it just looks like its molded out of clay or something if you know what I mean I have also had to file part of it to get one of the side guides to run square. anyway thanks again Claud1

Back