Scarf joint alternatives with green oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to have a beam 150 x 150 x 6400 resting on three posts with the same dimensions.
What is my best option; half lap joints on the middle post with a couple of pegs going through the beams into the post?
I’ll hate to attempt a scarf joint and mess it up!
Thanks

I thought you already had a thread on this subject. A tenon on the top of each post, with a corresponding mortice at the correct points along the beam, with braces tenoned into post and beam. Each tenon can be locked in with a drawbored peg.
Is your horizontal beam one piece or two? You could use a scarf joint to join two smaller pieces to make one beam but there are other better choices that I could draw for you if you want.

This thread is in relation to joining the beams hence me starting another
The horizontal beams are in two pieces and I have never done a scarf joint before. I have watched a couple of videos but I don’t feel comfortable. If the timber was cheap I would have attempted it.
I will have three posts on which I’ll use the M&T on the end posts a was recommended but it’s joining the two beams I’m unsure about.
Cheers

There are several methods of creating a Scarf Joint. - So I looked it up on Wikipedia to save my keyboard time......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint
The strongest one is probably = Scarf joint - Wikipedia
But you may want to avoid the steel contacting the acid in the Green Oak, because it would probably encourage unsightly rust !.....
So I looked it up on utube...=
British Building Regulations Stipulate that The MAXIMUM Unsupported Length of Any Joist or Beam
should be 4.8 metres (15 feet,8+3/4 inches Between VERTICAL Supports )

Last edited:
I made a 48 ft long veranda using four 12ft pieces of 8X6 (with the 8 dimension vertical, to resist any sagging) and five 6X6 posts.

The joints between the 12ft pieces were joined using a kind of scarf joint, partially locked by the tenon on each post, eg :

The joint is a slightly modified version of Figure 1 c. here: https://d-nb.info/1222809702/34

Cheers, W2S

PS I lifted all the timbers myself, using bits of scaffolding to make lifting frames. I smoothed all these timbers by hand in a morning with a Stanley No 5 handplane. I would suggest that a 12ft piece is about the maximum you would want to deal with. A telehandler could be a very useful tool - you do need to thing about the practicalities of safely manhandling these big chunks of wood (besides the technicalities of the joinery!).

Attachments

• Joint.jpg
    Joint.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 17
I need to have a beam 150 x 150 x 6400 resting on three posts with the same dimensions.
What is my best option; half lap joints on the middle post with a couple of pegs going through the beams into the post?
I’ll hate to attempt a scarf joint and mess it up!
Thanks
The simplest way to join the beams would be a lap joint, but you can enhance this by using a slope on the vertical cuts. Used with a couple of pegs from above ( or a couple of stainless coach screws ) this addition of a slope will resist the movement of the beam up or down.
On a practical note, if you deeply knife and gauge the marked lines, you can use a chisel to pare away material on the waste side of the cut. This will give a nice shoulder to run the saw against, Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here.
Best of luck

Latest posts

Back