6X6 Green Oak frame - joint help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog107

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to build a green oak gazebo and have some 6X6 beams. I have been sketching and thinking.. Whats the best way to join the corners? I had it my head that I would motice and tenon the horizontal 6x6 ring beam / wall plate into the posts, before adding a mortice and tenoned knee brace at 45 degees.

Does that sound OK or is there a better way? I have done lots of normal size wood work but nothing with timbers this big so would like to keep the joints simple if i can

cheers rog

Hi, I am planning to build a green oak gazebo and have some 6X6 beams. I have been sketching and thinking.. Whats the best way to join the corners? I had it my head that I would motice and tenon the horizontal 6x6 ring beam / wall plate into the posts, before adding a mortice and tenoned knee brace at 45 degees.

Does that sound OK or is there a better way? I have done lots of normal size wood work but nothing with timbers this big so would like to keep the joints simple if i can

cheers rog
Hello Rog, I built a verandah about 9 years ago. I can maybe give you some info on how I did it. My construction was largely 6 x 6 also. Two 4 metre sides using cill plates and wall plates and curved braces, all mortice and tenon construction. The tie beams form the principle rafters. Tie beams were fitted into the wall plates using housed dovetails.
No ring beam.
If you want to use a ring beam, you will probably need jowel posts. Give me a shout if you want any info. I bought several books before starting, as I didn’t want to mess it up. You might want to do the same.
Austin

Attachments

• E4A7B58C-ED11-4B63-9854-1B4E8F420BF0.jpeg
    E4A7B58C-ED11-4B63-9854-1B4E8F420BF0.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi Austin. That’s an awesome job! Thanks for your help.

This is the bit I’m struggling with. I want to cut a hipped roof off the frame so I think I need a ring beam or level wall plate of some description. Mine is going to be 3.6m square.

I’ve already got the 6x6 timbers so making a jewl post is going to be tricky.

Rog

Back