SCAFFOLD BOARDS.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amakah

Established Member
Reaction score
Scaffold boards are about 11/2 inches thick and I would like to cut them down the middle to make them roughly 3/4 inches thick. Has anyone done this and what would be the best way to go about it. Thank you for any information.

I do it a lot as we make and sell a number of items from scaff boards.
From experience you wont end up with 2 x 3/4 pieces as for start off you loose the kerf of the saw you are using.
We saw them roughly in half and plane down to 13mm each piece, sometimes they dont plane up so we then go to 10mm for another product that we make
depending on the width we need we either use a bandsaw to resaw or the table saw.
All our boards are used we buy in from a local scaff company by the lorry load a lot have splits in which is why they dispose of them and a lot come in with deep gouges and no end of plaster or mortar on them we clean up with a large rotary wire brush then go over with a metal detector before they go in the workshop.
We have brought a few new boards in the past, my office desk and book cases are made from them, they arn't the straightest to work with even when new a lot of of the success factor will be determined by the size of the board or product you need to achieve.
Come back to me if you want info on bladed and machines we use

Cheers

Got a metal detector ? Very often you find nails in them, and given youre splitting it, last thing you want to find is a headless nail.

Bandsaw is probably the most economical method, in that the kerf is a lot less than a sawbench

Keep in mind though that you'll have to clean up the cut faces, so maybe not going to get a full 3/4". 15/16mm would be more likely taking into account the kerf and clean up

Latest posts

Back