Saws from Toffee?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Alf, couldn't resist...but your comment on WN helped me make a decision perhaps :wink:

A trio of saws, two No. 9s, one rip, one cross cut and a DT saw made from Imbuia that's got a bit of figure. These headed for a man in England as I write this.

dt_0008a.jpg

Tis a wonderful smelling wood to work. Shop smells spicy for a couple days after.

Take care, Mike

Mike
This is just not far [-X [-X :wink:
Just when I was getting over the last lovely saw :roll: , you go and postpic's of three :shock: :)

( I must stop looking for my cheque book ) :wink:

Colin C":1t4xyuwx said:
And no close ups :roll: :whistle: [-(
Here's one of the No. 9s...

dt_0002a.jpg

Always happy to comply :lol:

Thank you all for the compliments. And nope, as Phil says, not his. Not a forum member actually.

Mike

Mike
It still does not make me feel any better :roll: :wink: but thanks all the same :( :wink:

Mike

I thought I'd gotten over the need to buy saws....... You apparently are doing a good job of persuading me otherwise. Good job the missus controls the cheque book!

Scrit

PS I just made the mistake of looking at your web site. I may never look at my S&Js the same way again :wink:

Hi Mike,

Is Imbuia the wood that is also known as Brazilian Walnut?

The only wood reference I have on hand is a book by a bloke named Keith Bootle titled "Wood In Australia". I looked up Imbuia in this book but couldn't find the exact spelling you used. The book lists "imbuya, embuia and South American Walnut" as being other common names for Brazilian Walnut. The description of Brazilian Walnut seems to fit the timber you've used on these saw handles, I was just wondering if it is the same thing or not.

While we're on the topic of wood for saw handles. What is your favourite wood for making saw handles; taking into account looks, workability, strength and whatever else you regard as important characteristics?

Hey Ian,

Yep, you pegged it. As with so many woods, different common names. Imbuia is a wood that once discovered in SA, has been imported to Europe since. It's a wonderful wood. Works like Walnut, though it seems denser it isn't really.

Favorites? That would be a moving target. I love wood. Some slabs have sat for years in my attic in anticipation of using them one day. So when someone selects one of those timbers, I so excited to use it, to discover how this piece or that needs to be shaped, I overlook certain workability issues compared to another species.

In retrospect, the most consistently enjoyable has been the red and black Cocobolo I made Phil's saw from. A few years ago I bought three planks, 2" thick x ~7" wide and 4' long. I had intended on reserving one of them. I cut into it two days ago.

But close on the heels is this Imbuia or Black Walnut. Probably one of the best handle woods is Bubinga. Eddie of Adria choose a wonderful wood to use and I feel good to follow his lead. And besides, I have some wonderful slabs of figured Bubinga to cut into :lol:

Jatoba makes for a great handle wood. And Sheoak. Derek made me a marking knife using it for the handle. Cannot wait to make a saw handle from some.

I have a series of 35 saws going to be made using Macassar Ebony. Probably start on them after the first of the year. We'll make the 35 and that will be that for that series. The next year, another wood, another series. While I haven't used M. Ebony for handles, it is plenty strong without being brittle and carves well--something we need to do with these.

Probably didn't answer your question well. So many woods make good handle wood and all have something unique about them. I love wood.

Take care, Mike

Aaarggghhhhh.... Mike, you swine. [-( And the perishing close-up too. It's not decent to want to take a bite out of a saw handle! ](*,) :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Mike, beautiful...love that thumb notched area.

like to watch you make one of those saws one day...

Hope your getting good dollar for them...they'd be worth every cent.

Beautiful Mike.....i will need to stop ordering planes and chisels for a month or so and order one of your saws

I

MikeW":3274n1so said:
Not a forum member actually. Mike

That's a shame as I expect with he'd fit in well around here. :lol:

Lovely saws as usual - perhaps when I retire........

Andy

Jake Darvall":k2wo0wtj said:
Mike, beautiful...love that thumb notched area.

like to watch you make one of those saws one day...
Thank you for the kind words, Jake!

Ah, to be able to make the trip. Maybe one day I can get a series of saw kit builds lined-up and my wife and I can make it there. Such a vast place.

Thank you, Dedee.

Ah, Ian. We all gotta follow our passions. And besides, if you gave up acquiring those lovely planes you would regret it! Still mareveling over the last post with the table full!

Take care, Mike

A trio of saws, two No. 9s, one rip, one cross cut and a DT saw made from Imbuia that's got a bit of figure. These headed for a man in England as I write this.

Mike, the novel thumb groove looks as though it is the last word in comfort-I've not seen this before.
I believe that folk should need a licence to be allowed to workthe most delightful Imbuia timber- granted mainly to better plane makers and one or two saw makers , you understand :wink:
The man in England, hey- I have a shrewd idea on who this could be....

Back