sawing technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is a dumb question, but surprisingly I don't remember it being referred to anywhere.
How do you follow a line when the waste side is such that you end up covering it with the saw?
Let me rephrase. If you're right-handed how do you cut to the left of the marked line?
a. Do you peek over the saw? That's what I usually do but I feel it's awkward and I find myself stopping to many times to see if the cutting line is not wandering.
b. do you turn the workpiece over and cut from the other side so that the marked line is visible? this isn't always possible
c. you are ambidextrous.
d. you are a sawing ninja and follow an imaginary line. but then you don't need to scribe lines in the first place

TIA

Usually always quite tricky and the most obvious time is when sawing dovetails. If your eyes are directly over the top of the saw blade there ought not to be too much of a problem, but it's always more awkward when the line is obscured. Resting the blade against the side of your left hand thumb nail helps to position the blade in the correct place - Rob

cerdeira":1ea62crp said:
Hi all.

This is a dumb question, but surprisingly I don't remember it being referred to anywhere.
How do you follow a line when the waste side is such that you end up covering it with the saw?
Let me rephrase. If you're right-handed how do you cut to the left of the marked line?
a. Do you peek over the saw? That's what I usually do but I feel it's awkward and I find myself stopping to many times to see if the cutting line is not wandering.
b. do you turn the workpiece over and cut from the other side so that the marked line is visible? this isn't always possible
c. you are ambidextrous.
d. you are a sawing ninja and follow an imaginary line. but then you don't need to scribe lines in the first place

TIA
You keep an eye on the entry point of the saw as you can still see the line under the saw even though it is on the off side.

If you make the knife line nice and strong and then pare out a notch on the waste side you will have a physical stop on that side that the saw blade will fall against. A tip from Rob Cosman that David Charleswoth kindly passed on to me is to start with your saw on the slope and allow it to drift naturally up to the stop. Once the cut is positioned and established you are only concerned with maintaining square (or Not) and perpendicular which can both be achieved by observing the reflection in either side of the blade.

Back