Saw guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, being a novice 86 year old woodworker and the fact I need to cut some sheets of 12mm ply with a circular saw tell me what guides I should get. I probably wouldn't be able to afford the very best but at the same time don't want to waste money on rubbish.

Very much appreciate advice fro the knowledgeable.

If you are intending to use your existing circular saw pretty much anything with a good straight edge you can run the saw along is going to work. A track saw is the dogs dang lies though for breaking down sheet material. Check out Peter Millard!s 10 minute workshop videos on YouTube. He has comparisons of most track saws available from budget to high end

thanks for that Paul, I see he recommends using a plunge saw and mine is an old Makita ordinary saw so I guess your idea of just using a good straight edge is the best idea.
Having said that, I do like the idea of using a plunge saw with tracking but that would have to be a dream for now.

Nothing wrong with a decent straight edge, I managed for a long time using a Bosch circular saw and length of angle iron. It can be more time consuming but the end results should be no different from a tracksaw.

I used a length of aluminium box section for years and well before track saws came along. A tape measure to set it up and you can achieve decent results.

Cutting sheet goods with a circ saw has been hit and miss for me, I think my main problem is I don't have a sufficiently large, flat stable surface to do the cutting on.

Hi P, Yes I was 86 just last week and have always tried to keep myself fit and stay away from getting sick where possible. I make the effort to pound the treadmill every day for 45 minutes and still run up and down stairs. I broke my back last year and that set me back for a while but apart from a bit of pain which I try to ignore I'm pretty much back to normal.

Before I got a track saw I used a length of aluminium U channel and a couple of small clamps. I also made up some small pieces of ply to act as go/no go blocks. One set were from the edge of the saw base to the rhs of the saw blade and the other set to the lhs of the saw blade. I then used these to set up the channel/batten to the line I wanted to cut depending on which side of the line I wanted to cut

Cutting sheet goods with a circ saw has been hit and miss for me, I think my main problem is I don't have a sufficiently large, flat stable surface to do the cutting on.
I can recommend a decent set of sawhorses- the ones that allow you to slot 2 x 4,s at either side bora portamate, toughbuilt minatour etc . Get the adjustable legs if possible and you have an instant portable workbench/ platform. Saves your back and your knees..

Back