Saw dust collector SIP Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening folks, im in the process of setting up my small workshop and desperately need an inexpensive saw dust collector/workshop vac. I've seen the Sip one in toolstation for £87 and would like to know if it's worth the money. I will also be cutting MDF.

That model will almost certainly be using a vacuum cleaner type brush motor and will be exceedingly noisy.
A machine that states "induction motor" will be much nicer to use.
Also consider the amount of filtering that you ought to have when working with MDF.

Many thanks guys, what is the cheapest best option then in your opinion?

eBay.... You may have to wait a while for a cheap enough one to come along.

Induction motors are a lot quieter and in my experience with them, pretty bullet proof.

I quite often forget I've left mine on.

The old ones are quite often equal to or if not better than new ones.

You could always have a plastic sack for lower collection with a fine felt upper bag.
If it doesn't collect fine enough dust, a small fan extractor with a car air filter retrofitted and sucking close by should collect the remaining.

It's not ideal, but it's a cheap option.

I've got the Woodstar version of that vacuum extractor and it's great - even works with my thicknesser. My only complaint is that it's a bit noisy (but no louder than some household vacuum cleaners).

As for dust, what I gather is you'll need an extractor with very high filtration to effectively stop MDF dust from being blown back into your workshop. A cheaper option is a more basic extractor and good face mask.

If you can find a really good second hand extractor for less then go for that, but otherwise the SIP is fine (with a mask for MDF).

Mark

I have a Charnwood, like this DB-Keighley, although I paid a little more at the time. It's very quiet and you can make different grade filter panels easily enough if it's not collecting fine enough for your liking. The hose is 4". I have this plugged into a 4"-2" reducer and then a 2" rigid "common rail" about 8' long which branches off to my different equipment with smaller still hoses (all different depending on which bit of kit they are plugged in to). It's probably not really powerful enough for the way I have it set up but I get away with it because I've reduced the collector pipe quite a lot in diameter so the vacuum pressure (now there's a contradiction in terms lol) is greatly increased at the point of collection.

For under £250 it's a good bit of kit.

Keep your eyes open for a nilfisk, mine is twin motor and very powerfull. They have a shaker to stop the filters clogging. They seem to go for £50-£80

Unlike others on here I've had good service from some SIP products. But then SIP are just purveyor of badge engineered stuff, same as most other brands on the market including the big names. None of them make anything much any more, it's all far-eastern imports. Just check the specs and examine the pictures and you'll see - name and colour are about the only differences most of the time.

RogerP":7vkkmv7w said:
Unlike others on here I've had good service from some SIP products. But then SIP are just purveyor of badge engineered stuff, same as most other brands on the market including the big names. None of them make anything much any more, it's all far-eastern imports. Just check the specs and examine the pictures and you'll see - name and colour are about the only differences most of the time.

+1
Have had a SIP p/t - bandsaw and dust extractor for a number of years and have not had any issues with them apart from needing to replace the capacitor on the p/t.

Well if it helps I have one 3hp heavy duty SIP dust extractor (01954) as a dedicated collector for my belt sander, Three SIP 01929 vacuum buckets, one connected to the crown guard on my table saw, another on my woodrat and a third one on my router table.

They all work hard and I cannot fault them

Latest posts

Back