Saw blade cleaning with STP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

Today I tried blade cleaning with STP. I made it on 160mm old unimportant blade and you can see the results on the pictures.

I would like to hear your opinion please, before I use it on my good blades.

Thanks
niki

Niki,

How much elbow grease needs to be used with the STP? The results look very good, I have some blades that make your before picture look clean. :oops:

Hi Dave

The blade was unused for about 2 years so I had to use brass brush to remove some black marks that you can see around the blade just below the teeth and they came out easily.

I would like to know if it's safe to use STP or it can damage the brazing of something else.

niki

Niki: Not sure about STP but most householder degreasers work well without damaging the carbide brazing.(do not use oven cleaner). Here in Canada I can get "Fantastik"(degreaser) at the grocery store. In the U.S. many woodworkers use the degreaser "Simple Green", again available in most grocery stores/food marts.
To make life easy I have 12" foil pie plates. I place my coiled BS blades in the plate along with router bits & let em soak for about 10 minutes, then brush them with an old toothbrush. They come nice and clean. Same treatment for saw blades.
I then pinch a pour spout into the pie plate and pour the used cleaner into an empty bottle for disposal when full.

Lee

Thank you Lee

We don't have the "Simple green" but we have the "Fantastik", I'll try.

Thanks
niki

Hi,

I use Mister Muscle Window and Glass Cleaner and a brass brush it works very well and its cheap.

Pete

Back