Saw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandad Les

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up the old topic again but I am a turner who needs to replace an occasionally used SIP scrollsaw. I use the scrollsaw about 50 hours a year for mainly internal cuts on 6mm ply. Quick release blade holders are desirable and pinless blade holders a must. The SIP had variable speed but I'm not sure that I used it correctly, usually to slow down and reduce vibration and I never really got to grips with consistently tensioning blades. :oops:
I know Hegner are the best and the Axminster clone is superb but funds / amount of use don't allow. So would the Ax AWFS16 single speed suffice or perhaps the Record Power SS16V (although I don't need the light)?
Any thoughts / recommendations gratefully received.

Hi Les,
What about a good used saw that has variable speed? it comes in very useful being able to regulate the speed and ya never know when you might want to do so.
I have the Axi Hegner clone and love it but there's plenty of other that should do the job.
Cheers
Brian

After 3 or 4 years with a single speed Hegner, I got chance of a variable speed. After a few minutes playing with the speed control, I now keep it on full speed all the time.

martinka":12z5i3g6 said:
After 3 or 4 years with a single speed Hegner, I got chance of a variable speed. After a few minutes playing with the speed control, I now keep it on full speed all the time.

I am quite the opposite and rarely use it on full speed. I allow my 8yr old grandson to use my Hegner and on the low speeds it's as safe as using a hand frame or treadle machine, it also allows him to do his cutting slowly for better results. :)

If you are ever in the Bridgwater area- you can try a couple of my saws-- RBI Ultra Hawk 26 inch Delta Q3and a 16 inch Delta 540.The Delta has the best quick clamp ever made(imho)

I don't use the 540 now as I did use it for fine fretwork and my eyes are not as good as they were so would sell if you were interested,it's in almost new condition

John

jonluv":3r43iwnm said:
If you are ever in the Bridgwater area- you can try a couple of my saws-- RBI Ultra Hawk 26 inch Delta Q3and a 16 inch Delta 540.The Delta has the best quick clamp ever made(imho)

I don't use the 540 now as I did use it for fine fretwork and my eyes are not as good as they were so would sell if you were interested,it's in almost new condition

John
Les, drive over to Johns, try the Delta 540, buy the 540, as he says it's the best blade clamping system ever. I have a 540 and a 560. If only I lived closer. :eek:
happy scrolling
Steve

If you try it and like it I thought about £50---- but try it first--- it's too heavy to post so come and have a look
John

Back