Saved Record 40 Plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCN2289.JPG

Set aside for me at a scrap yard.

The blade was bent, the paint was failing and the guides were stuck.

DSCN2322.JPG

The reason the guides were stuck was some sort of waxy oil substance was covering all the parts.

DSCN2324.JPG

Make shift vapor tank.
This will remove paint, oil, grease and wax.

DSCN2342.JPG

Hot caustic soda will remove the paint.

DSCN2361.JPG

Flash rust will soon appear., so a good going over with a wire brush before priming is needed.

DSCN2364.JPG

Rattle can primer.

DSCN2375.JPG

Gold leaf.

DSCN2378.JPG

Now, me, lazy sod that I am, I'd have left the paint alone; but you did a terrific restoration.

Is the flat on the rod for the fence a standard feature of these planes? Good idea, if so.

I was going to save the paint.
But it was not original.
But, when it was leaned of the crud it was failing.
So it was off with the old and on with the new.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's in the vapour tank? Ethylene (TCE)?
TCE is an abbreviation for trichloroethylene. It is an active solvent in many paint strippers. Ethylene itself is a gas. It is a very strong degreasant so it is very important to wear gloves and eye protection. As it is very volatile and toxic by inhalation ensure you use it in a well ventilated space.
In a vapour tank, the volatility of the TCE is used clean products as the vapour condenses and dissolves in the greases and drips back into the bulk solvent.

Looks great!
Have an 043 and several 044 and 050's, super useful to have several at commonly used settings ready to go. The 043 is the one to use for the grooves for thin ply bottoms in small drawers and boxes. 5mm, 5mm from the edge, go! :) So much quicker than having to faff around with an electric router.

Back