Bowman 135 Saved.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
DSCN0462.JPG

This Bowman 135 was mine for £20, in a local charity shop.

It was in a poor state of repair. I knew that, but I wanted something to do.

DSCN0619.JPG

The killer on this engine was the safety valve was shot. The spring was long rusted and the pin bent.

Parts are available, but not in a regular supply.

DSCN0621.JPG

You need imperial fraction drills, or better Tin Plate drills to remove the old boss.
Then the top of the boiler is tinned. Do not get any in the hole. You want the new Boss to drop into place.
Then tin the new boss. Set it on top of the boiler and reheat and it will drop snuggly into place and give a good seal.

Test it on air, then you can do a slow steam.

DSCN0624.JPG

Steam tight.
So we took it to bits.

DSCN0884.JPG

Engine of this age are mosty imperial.

DSCN0886.JPG

Hot caustic soda will remove the paint, grease and soot.

DSCN0908.JPG

The brass takes well to a polish, be careful on a buffing machine, as the heat can melt to low temp solder.

DSCN0913.JPG

The Gun black worked on the boiler fixings, not so well on the chimney. I will revisit this.

DSCN0915.JPG

The new oil drip tap, is still in the lathe. What can not be seen are the red fiber washers in-between the gears and the frame.

DSCN0892.JPG

I also acquired an age related oil can an a Meths burner.

This is nice, good to see one of these again. A blast from the past. I've got an old Mamod stationary steam engine that I used to play with as an older child, hours of fun. It's stored away up in the loft, seeing this reminds me that it's there. I can't wait to introduce my son to it, but maybe a couple of years yet as he's only just four!

I've just checked online and was amazed to see that the Mamod company are still going, and still selling engines. Nice to know.

Seriously? That's impressive.

My lad has always been very hands on, and I've always encouraged him by letting him use whatever hand tools he can manage. I'm confident that he can already use a file or a hammer more proficiently than a lot of adults! (A sad indictment of the world we live in more than anything else ).

I draw the line at anything too inherently dangerous at this stage though, like sharp, electrical, hot/fire risk etc. He wanted to play with a hatchet for splitting kindling wood the other day, he got a firm no which then needed a long explanation and demonstration.

Last edited:
Back