Saved from the fire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomas Hayman":37qb2zko said:
Lovely work, very tidy.

What period do you re-enact out of interest?

Late 14th , early 15th Century.

One of the things I am going to try and have a go at is faking pole turned bowls on an electric lathe.

Ah, i'm WoTR so wouldn't be too surprised if i've met you before :-D

A pole lathe is easy enough to knock up, ask over on the Bodgers forum there are loads of pole lathers there.

I have been working on boxes recently so not much turning going on. However I thought I would have a go at a simple shaped bowl in order to try and get the form as clean as possible. This one has not started as firewood, instead it is a blank of bocote I got from Yandles in the spring. Obviously I was in a rush to get through the woodshed before we had to go and pick up the kids because I had not realised how expensive it was :oops: So I thought that I shall do a nice simple rice bowl shape and spend as much time as it needed to get the finish to the point where I am happy with it.

The finished piece is 6" in diameter and 2.5" high. Finished with Chestnut friction polish. The white line on the top right of the first picture seems to be an artifact of the grain rather than a sanding failure as it is completely smooth and has been present through the whole process.

As usual the images are links to Flickr if you want to see a larger version.

Looks good. These simple shapes aren't that simple to get right but you seem to have done OK with this one.

If you want wood, keep your eyes open in the hedgerows. Amazing how often there are lumps of wood left lying around. I have just bought some wood for a commission, first couple of pieces for about 2 years.

Pete

It has been a while, but I wanted to play with the new lathe:

American Black Walnut from Yandles, 5.5" high and 2.5" at the widest point. This time I followed the suggestion and made the base 2/3 of the bowl which looks a lot better, but I am now wondering if it is too small :oops:

The finish is Chestnut Hard Wax Oil topped off with a coat of wax.

It was going to be about 8" tall, but I broke one of the cardinal rules, the one that says that the inside of the bowl needs to be smaller than the outside ;) I now have a smaller goblet and a raggedy napkin ring :lol:

Hi Frugal,
IMHO the base does look better for being smaller, but I see what you mean about it possibly being too small now. Proportion is a real pain to get right, and I am sure more knowledgeable turners will give you their help soon.

How are you getting on with the new lathe?

Malc :D

Are you sure that the base is 2/3rds of the max dia of the bowl? Looks smaller than that in the picture. Again the overall shape etc looks really good. Beautiful wood too.
If you want to make these goblets for use you can either give it really thick coat of beeswax(not furniture polish, pure beeswax) or melamine. Traditional way (seeing as 'ow you're into re-enactment_ was to melt beeswax int the cup and swill it around so that it soaked into the grain.

Pete

A couple of recent turning attempts: The first is a spalted beech bowl. I got the wood at auction at the start of last year. I was a bit nervous as after I had bid on it I was speaking to someone and they were decrying the state of some of the lots; he pointed to the beech I had bought and cited it as an example of wood that had gone from spalted to rotten. However when I cleaned off the black surface mold the wood underneath is gorgeous:

IMG_8163 by frugal10191, on Flickr

IMG_8168 by frugal10191, on Flickr

9.5" in diameter. 2.5" high and the wall is a consistent 1/2" thick all the way down. Finished with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil.

The next piece is a scrap of ash that I experimented with to make a mazer. Robin Wood was describing medieval mazers on his blog a while ago, and as I do medieval reenactment I thought that it would be a good idea to try one. My first attempt is about 4" across and 2" high with nice thin walls of about 1/16". The finish is olive oil as I intended to drink out of it.

As I found out afterwards I should have raised the grain and then sanded it down a bit more as once I had drunk a couple of pints from it the walls became a little rough. It holds about half a pint of beer (other liquids yet to be tested ;) )

IMG_8158 by frugal10191, on Flickr

Finally for today; my first attempt at pen turning. I finally cracked and bought a pen turning mandrel, barrel trimmer and some cheap kits from Axminster. We had a random pack of pen blanks from when we first bought the lathe last spring, so I have no idea what the wood is. The whole process was fairly painless (I would hope so given the amount of pen turning videos and tutorials I had gone through before I started). saying that I did spend a long time trying to get my sanding sorted out as I kept getting marks that I needed to sand along the barrel a lot.

IMG_8298 by frugal10191, on Flickr

Finish is Chestnut friction polish. I finally found out how to apply the polish without putting lots of streaks into my piece. It turns out that I needed to use a much finer weave cloth. What I was using was too coarse and that was causing the streaking.

Nice looking work Frugal and a good variety too. Has your mazer got a knob on the inside? Why did they have those anyway? Always wondered

Pete

Bodrighy":qskaida8 said:
Nice looking work Frugal and a good variety too. Has your mazer got a knob on the inside? Why did they have those anyway? Always wondered

Pete

No, it has not got a knob on the inside. Nor has it got any of that posh beaten silver around the top. Pure peasant fare here I am afraid ;)

Back