Sash window tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been doing a bit of research on sash window making, and for a bit of fun I tried to count up the number of tools a joiner would need to make a standard vertical sliding sash window (No machinery to be used, but I have not included anything for felling the tree, or pit sawing :lol: )
Not all of them are 100% essential but none of them are uncommon ether. I came up with a total of 42. any one else care to have a go :)
If you want to know my list, I will try to put them together as a display for my open day.
Cheers, Richard

Well, 42 just had to be the answer!

Let's have a go, all off the top of my head...

Ripsaw
Crosscut saw
At least one backsaw - a Sash saw?
Pad saw (for cutting out pockets)

Brace.
Three different sized bits (pulley holes, corners of pockets, rope grooves, knot holes.)

Plough plane.
Are we counting a set of eight irons? He might only need the 1/4", for parting bead grooves. Maybe a narrower one if he's making T&G joints on the boxes. That would also need a rebate plane of some sort - can we give him a moving fillister and a plain rebate plane?
Sash fillister.
At least one moulding plane for his chosen profile. Let's be kind and give him a matched No 1 and No 2.

A mortice chisel. I think he would have had several, even if most of the work only used one.
A bench chisel or two.
One of those fancy sash pocket chisels.

A mitre template.
A set of sash templates.
A scribing gouge or two.
If he's using dowels to reinforce the glazing bar joints, a dowelling box.
Another size bit to fit the dowels.

Rule
Pencil
Dividers
Marking knife
Marking gauge
Mortice gauge
Try square - small and large
Mitre square?

Jack plane
Try plane
Smoothing plane
Nosing plane
Cill drip plane

Bradawl
Hammer
Mallet

Bench

Holdfasts / dogs

Sticking board
Large and small screwdrivers (for the screws holding the pulleys in) and for fitting the catches.

That looks like more than 42, depending on how you count it. Am I close?

What an interesting question! Seeing them all together we will learn how portable that tool kit would be, compared to a modern van load of electric motors. Maybe swap the bench for a pair of trestles...

I forgot the oilstone - just the one - and we'd better not give him a jig as well... :wink:

richarnold":xujmr2u8 said:
I have just been doing a bit of research on sash window making, and for a bit of fun I tried to count up the number of tools a joiner would need to make a standard vertical sliding sash window (No machinery to be used, but I have not included anything for felling the tree, or pit sawing :lol: )
Not all of them are 100% essential but none of them are uncommon ether. I came up with a total of 42. any one else care to have a go :)
If you want to know my list, I will try to put them together as a display for my open day.
Cheers, Richard

Looking forward to the pic of u all making a sash window by hand on your open day (hammer)

Latest posts

Back