Sash Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should be able to get the thicker stuff a bit cheaper via my mates plumbing account or go down to the local scrappy if the conduit doesn't fit, I hope!

EDIT - I got galvanised malleable iron pipe from here, delivered quite cheaply in 3.25m lengths with a thread at both ends and a connector. I bought a few lengths so I can chop and change. A friend as a threading machine for these so will get two lengths chopped down into smaller sections.

MikeJhn":2jvmmlbw said:
as its intended use is in tension I don't think the difference in specification will make any difference.

Mike

Tension is only part of the load, there's a bending component too which tends to open up the cramp jaws at the top more than at the bottom, and therefore bows the workpiece. That's what lies behind the common advice to position sash cramps on both the top and the bottom in order to balance this out. Consequently you're better with a pipe that's as stiff as possible.

Point taken, but I will try the conduit as I have a need for some anyway, will have an experiment with it and see.

Mike

Beau":gd1d1d8f said:
Jacob":gd1d1d8f said:
Beau":gd1d1d8f said:
.... and secondly they have to be carefully set away from the glue lines as can react causing staining especially when using oak. .....
No prob if you lay a strip of sticky tape on the line of the clamp. Or on the clamp itself but then you cant adjust it with the tape in place.
Any old tape will do - masking, sellotape, parcel, insulating, drafting, etc.

Yes have done that on my metal clamps but it's nice not having to faf about. ...
I meant lay tape on the workpiece across the joints as first option. On the clamps themselves second. It's a loss less faff than cleaning up rust marks!

Gentlemen. Conduit threads are metric, 20 x 1.5 and 25 x 1.5.
I think pipe clamps are either BSP or if from the US could be NPT thread pattern.

I have no idea how they're going to last, but for rough and ready jobs I've got some Rolson F clamps I picked up for about £3 each for 600mm ones, and so far they seem to be ok. I realise that's akin to swearing around here, and they're definitely cheap, but they seem to work.

Always on the look out for secondhand quality clamps!

Bessey pipe clamps are on their way so bought some 3/4 BSP steam pipe on line. It's 6 quid a metre including delivery, I can probably find it cheaper but working away at the moment so limited opportunity to delve, even so, at £28 for a hopefully very strong metre clamp, and only 6 quid more for a 2 metre clamp, I don't think that's bad. If they arrive before the weekend I'll post a review.

The bessey 0.75 inch pipe clamps arrived, there's a few pics below but this video probably says it all.

They look good for the price, they took a couple of weeks for shipping. I like the way the clamp sits on legs, the throat is a bit shallow, but if you put clamps on opposite sides of deep work, then it should be good. The deeper the throat the more deflection of the pipe so the jaws would although the adjustable jaw does move a bit to compensate for a small amount of deflection. The pipe I bought is galvanised and is about 26mm OD and 20mm ID so 2.5mm wall so relatively stiff so I don't see this as a problem. The 0.75 inch refers to the 3/4" BSP thread on the pipe, not the pipe diameter.

When I glue up my bench top I will use pipe clamps with legs on one side and sash clamps on the other. As somebody mentioned previously, as with many clamps, a bit of tape on the bits touching the wood will help to stop discolouration.

P1060206.jpg

P1060208.jpg

P1060209.jpg

P1060210.jpg

BTW ignore the negative feedback on the 0.5 inch version on amazon, the reviewer assumed it was a 50 inch clamp, not a .50 inch pipe clamp head.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060206.jpg
    P1060206.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 770
  • P1060208.jpg
    P1060208.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 770
  • P1060209.jpg
    P1060209.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 769