SANDING SEALER or FILLER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwc812

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have the task of renovating a large Victorian box that is veneered in burr walnut.
The finish is to be French polish.
Having stripped back the old finish and replaced bits of veneer that were missing
I now have to fill holes, splits, dents etc. Probably too large for sanding sealer.
Any suggestions as to a good (fine) filler - dark walnut - although I do have spirit
dyes if they are compatable and will mix with a lighter coloured filler.
Thanks
John

twothumbs":3owjr8vn said:
Brummer? Could be mixed to get a better shade. An old favourite.
When I worked in a restorers in Twickers, the 'old boy' used brummer, I told them I wouldn't use it as; A) it dried and shrank with age B) was not reverseable, I used waxes instead because they are natural, reversible, infinitely adjustable, readily available and compatible with french polishes.
hth chris

Hi All
Thanks Chris and Twothumbs.
I have some sticks of Liberon wax filler and have used it to fill small cracks and dents etc. in the past.
Colour match is dead easy.
But after carefully burnishing with a cloth it always seems slightly hollow.
I have even wondered if the object was put in the fridge to harden the applied wax
before burnishing would work. (Her indoors may object)
If the object is to be French polished is it best to apply the wax filler
1, before any French polish is applied?
2, after one coat of French polish?
OR 3, after the French polishing is nearly complete?

I have always pressed in the wax with a tiny spatula or chisel.
Has any forum member had success with melting the wax into a crack or split?

Cheers John

hi john, i have some info for you, just not enough time right now to input it but get back to you in trhge next day or two.
chris

John, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, I forgot :oops:, however marcus has it covered. if you are still interested I have some older books which detail how to make your own beaumontage (hard wax).
chris

Back