Sanding 2ft diameter hole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed209

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a 2ft round window with 4 pieces of 18mm ply cut out with router and glued and screwed together.
I now need to sand it so that all the bits become one, not far out couple of mm here and there.
Never had to do this before is a flap or drum sander the way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoke shave.

if you must stick to power tools, screw it to the bench and use your router with the circle cutting frame first to get a perfect circle then tidy up with a drum sander.

I don't have to use a power tool just want the best method so it doesn't go out of shape. the router option is out as its 72mm thick and also the last piece is a 8x4 sheet of ply
All seemed a good idea at the time

Are you talking about the flat surfaces? or the inside of the hole?

In a hole that size all you need to do is wad up a fist sized piece of rag and use it as a soft sanding block with some 220 grit paper. That will stop any unwanted edges appearing.

without fulling knowing the project and what tooling you own, you could do the routing on a circle jig to 40 mm, then flip it over and finish the other sided with a bottom bearing flush cutter?

adidat

Get a flat flexible rectangle (some thin plastic or similar) and spray glue some sandpaper to it. You can then sand the curve and have complete control

Back