Sampler - became a Dibber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
Continuing this huge learning curve on the round side, I have been experimenting with inlays.

I cut three different sets of veneer inlays into a square spindle - then turned it to sample the results. :)

After turning I was able to see how different layouts of inlay give different results. :idea:

I then made the sampler into something pratical - a dibber. :D

Let me know what you think - tell me if it is rubbish

thanks for looking

Dave

IMGP3195.jpg

IMGP3197.jpg

IMGP3196.jpg

It's rubbish.....just kidding, it's really good. I like the inlay and especially the way you have punched the numbers in. An ordinary everyday object made special.

Pete

I agree! Rubbish!! Only kidding too :D :D

By inlay, I assume the inlay is just 'skin deep' so to say. I haven't done or seen it before like that. However it's done it looks very effective and as Pete said, quite special. Well done mate!

I've just had a thought? If it were for use here you would need to turn it from steel and make a bloody great hammer to go with it just so that you could get it in the concrete that goes for soil here! :oops: :oops: :oops:

A very practical way to practise, you achieved a well controlled form and finish, not easy to get a gentle taper over such a distance.

Well thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The inlay is not a surface feature it penetrates about 1/3rd of the way through the original square spindle. The veneer used was the same thickness as the saw kerf.

In the example near the top end the inlays were single cuts placed on each face, in the second example they were crossed cuts on each face, and in the third example they were parallel cuts on each face.

On very close inspection, to obtain an even result the cuts must be exactly the same depth and angle, and the veneers must be well glued right into the base of the cut (no voids). This technique will render many different designs.

Yes, the taper was challenging - I finished it with a scraper (95 deg bevel)

Not sure if the photos are good enough, but what is the wood? Is it ash?

Dave

Thank you Dave. If the inlays went any deeper it may make the dibber weaker I suppose. I have done a couple of 'Celtic Knot' vessels, a cup and a goblet, and didn't take the inlay thickness into account. Next one I will.

Celticknotgoblet1.jpg

The wood looks like either beech or sycamore. It has that lovely depth to the grain.

John,

I like the goblet very much, very effectice. You call it a Celtic Knot - aha :oops:

What I want to try next is to make the inlay inserts on more than 4 faces, perhaps 8?

Also I shall try making the cuts deeper - the deeper they go the more continuous the lines become (I think?) As you say, have to take care not to weaken the work. Although I think if the veneer is well glued it should be OK

Dave

Have a look at this, it's a young lad showing how to do the inlay for a pen but it could be adapted for anything I would have thought.

Pete

I have seen that video before Pete, but it still stands another look! Oh to have a workshop like that and clean too! :shock: :shock: It was how I started to learn how to my goblet.

I think that the only problem with that method for something that will get some wellie, like a dibber, the cuts are right through and would be weak spots?

Lovely result for the pen..

Very nice dave,

I like the 2nd feature from the top, the hashed area.. Very interesting.

Pete - Impressive video (and workshop :shock: ).

I tend to agree with John, using the technique in the video would not be appropriate for a dibber because of the way a dibber is used, but for decorative purposes (and a pen which is supported by the inner sleeve) the video technique is great.

Remember that the shallower the cuts the more gaps will appear in the pattern, IMO a continuous pattern is only achieved by making through cuts, but this also depends upon the relationship between depth of cut and diameter of your turned work.

Thanks Loz - I tend to agree, am wondering if it will get too "busy" if I try 6 or 8 facets instead of 4.

I have since googled "Turning Celtic knot" and there are many ideas to think about :roll:

Dave

That's a really nice dibber, Dave. It's almost too nice to use! I really like the veneer inlays and the stamped in numbers. Excellent work.

Kym

Latest posts

Back