Salt and pepper mill mechanisms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a really good make. Which is better stainless or ceramic
Thanks
Ian

Ceramic is supposedly better for salt as less likely to corrode the mechanism

I have a unicorn magnum for pepper which is great for quickly coating a plate

Ceramic should last longer than steel. The Crushgrind mechanisms have a 25 year guarantee on the ceramic parts. You need to be accurate with your cuts so they clip in where they are supposed to but once in, they are there to stay.

Definitely crush grind. There are some very good guides on Axi website to drilling dimensions and positioning the recesses for the mechanisms to clip into place.
It’s worth getting the recess cutting tool, although expensive for a one trick pony

Can someone recommend a really good make. Which is better stainless or ceramic
Thanks
Ian
This has been a bugbear of mine for years. Lidl had a great pair of ceramic grinders for about £9 which worked beautifully for about 2 years then the plastic connecting rod broke. I've tried Cole & Mason they weren't great, In the end I bit the bullet and bought Peugeot grinders. The pepper grinder is excellent, the salt grinder not so (IMHO) depends on the salt used. Both have stainless steel mechs.

If turned by yourself, you can select quality ceramic mechanisms, with metal connecting rods. Also if the mechanism were to fail, you can tap it out and replace it.
Made a pepper mill with ceramic mechanism for my son and DiL who favour it over their Peugeot.

Try the kits from Charnwood available at west county machinery , they are simpler than the Axminster kits to bore out and work perfectly well

Back