Salt and Pepper Mill grinder mechanism set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBay-Paul

Reaction score
Hi All
Thinking of turning some salt and pepper mills, any suggestions regarding the best Salt and Pepper Mill grinder mechanism sets?
seems to be a fair few on Amozon etc, also craft supplies USA got a good review in the latest wood turners magazine.
Appreciate your thoughts.

I made some in Feb 2020 using the 'CrushGrind' Mechanisms from Styles & Bates - 135 & 260mm sizes - superb!

If I find I need to make any more I would certainly use the same again.

Crush grind are the ultimate in my opinion. I buy them 100+ at a time. That way I get them under $10 Canadian each. They allow you to make grinders without seeing the stainless bits and pieces and also the mechanism is ceramic and adjustable grind. Two different types of mechanisms.

Attachments

• 8B95993A-D572-4244-AE95-A0974BD73329.jpeg
    8B95993A-D572-4244-AE95-A0974BD73329.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C37F97BE-7957-4DDE-B813-83A63984B0BF.jpeg
    C37F97BE-7957-4DDE-B813-83A63984B0BF.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6973DDA2-FD2E-43D1-AC11-94BF0F8B48B4.jpeg
    6973DDA2-FD2E-43D1-AC11-94BF0F8B48B4.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Do the crushgrind ones need specific tools to shape the recess? I recall one brand did but not which one

Do the crushgrind ones need specific tools to shape the recess? I recall one brand did but not which one
I didn't use a special tool but then I use a Myford Super 7 with full 'metal-working' control. I also made them with 'windows' so didn't have a problem with the length.
Two Pairs - Filled.png

This photo shows both sizes.

The grinding part of the 'mechanism' is the same in both cases, the only difference being the length of the driving stem. As @Lefley has said there are two different units, one without a stem at all but I haven't used that one.

Here is a 'technical' drawing of the bottom part. You'll notice that it does need an 'undercut' groove - this is where the mechanism 'clips' in - and the measurments do need to be fairly precise, but I'm used to working to close tolerences :D
Tech Drg.png

+1 for the Crushgrind.
The standard mechanism calls for a recess but it is easier to use epoxy adhesive to fix them in place. Several YT videos detail how.

I used the kits from Prokraft, you can find them here Bar & Kitchen Kits - prokraft

They are good quality, well priced, no special tools required and they are supplied by a local business rather than Amazon or US Craft Supplies. Also, Jon has made very helpful how to videos for the kits.

I haven't used a crushgrind mechanism as its too much faffing about for my needs. I have used the Prokraft 12 inch pro-grind mechanism and its great.

Attachments

• pp2.jpg
    pp2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • pp1.jpg
    pp1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • pp3.jpg
    pp3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One of the reasons I settled upon the CrushGrind was due to it not having a top 'protrusion'. This reminds me that if you find the technical drawing I posted earlier useful then you might also like to see the same for the 'top' ........
Tech Drg Top.png

Obviously, the outer 'design' is down to individual taste - only the internal dimensions are actually needed.

If I were making these in the quantities that @Lefley reports, I would make form tools which would certainly be a benefit but for a one-off hardly worth the effort.

Just finished counting and over the last 3-4 years I have made 63 pairs of crush grind mills using this tool. Never had a problem with it and providing the carbide bits are kept sharp and correctly positioned, it is the easiest way that I know of to accurately and quickly drill the correct diameter holes to the correct depths, constantly. It leaves a very acceptable finish, which needs minimal sanding. What I really like about this tool is that it totally eliminates the possibility of drilling too deep with a forstner bit. You will still need a 25mm forstner bit to drill through the centre of the mill first. Robert Sorby make a tool specifically for cutting a slot /groove in the inner wall for the crush grind mechanism locating tabs to lock into, preventing the mechanism from coming out. Using this tool enables the mechanism to be removed if something goes wrong. You can use epoxy etc. but if something goes wrong, the mill becomes an expensive paper weight.

Back