Said Goodbye to Samwise today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I am very sad to say that Samwise, the reluctant shop dog, was put to sleep today.
Here he is, many years ago, (posted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:37 am)
Dscn2403s.jpg

Those of you who came to the Sudbury Bashes will have seen the increase in his distinguished looks.
He had been on an increasing dose of medication to ease the pain in his back legs, but this week it all became too much for him, he fell and could not get back up, Naomi found him when she got home. We took him to see the vet and extra meds where given and for a day he seemed to have recovered.
Iona (our other dog) got me up early as he had gone down, bringing a dining chair over on top of himself.
He was very upset with himself and tried to stop me helping him up, he was in pain all of the time and while we could have kept him alive, it would have been cruel.
So this morning after his usual tablets, wrapped in ham, followed by half a wheatabix he made his last painful journey to the vet.
I know that now he is in no pain and can get a decent sleep without a leg hurting but we miss the old chap, 15 years is just too short.

My condolences Dave, our old family dog was put to sleep after similar ailments and having had a pretty full 16 years earlier this year. Not bad for a heinz special from the wrong side of the tracks

It's damn horrible when your pet's have
to go. :( Sorry to hear about Samwise Dave. :(

Really bad news Dave, my thoughts are with you, we ourselves had to take one of our cats to the vet on Thursday night and was told out of the blue that she had a growth in her stomach ( she's 17 ) so now it's only a matter of time. At the moment there's no pain but as soon as there is we will be taking the same actions as you. Pets are great companions but when anything like this happens they break your heart.

Regards

Steve

Sorry to hear that news, I have experienced the sadness myself, I lost a poodle that lived to 18 years and travelled with me every working day in my car and new the routes we took as well as anyone.

My thoughts are with you and your family Dave.

Burying our elderly Dalmatian Pebbles, who suffered the same ailment as Samwise was, bar my young cousin's funeral, the saddest experience I've ever had and I'm not ashamed to say that I blubbed like a child. You did the right thing, their suffering is heart breaking.

However, when I'm feeling blue I cast my mind back to all the wonderful adventures and disasters that I shared with Pebbles and it soon brings a smile to my face. You've reminded me of how precious the time we have with these unwavering companions is.

Sorry,
Chris

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry to hear that. He was such a lovely dog. I don't know what i'd do if\when we loose our naughty little dogs. You're right, he's not in pain any more.

Really sorry to hear this :( as I know what its like saying goodbye to an old friend . My thoughts to you and your family .

So sorry to hear the news Dave my condolences to you and your family,
As one who had met him and fed him biscuits it is a sad day,

Nigel

I'm sorry to hear that, Dave. As difficult as it is I think you did the right thing. He is at peace now. My thoughts are with you.

My own Mollie passed away last November.

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.
There is is little I can say, but be confident you did the very best you could for him until the very end.
I'm filling up now thinking of my own best budy.

xy

That's very sad news, Dave :cry: I met the old fella twice at your bashes and he was really nice. Just remember the good times.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Very sorry to hear this Dave,i as many others know what you are going through having lost ours last year.Very sad times for all the family :(

Sorry mate that is very sad, when my cat died years ago I was sad. I kept seeing her round the house out of the corner of my eye for a while.
They are more than just pets!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that news, Dave.
It hurts to lose them like that. The last dog we lost didn't even have the chance to say goodbye. He died during an operation.
We were so broken up then and it is still painful now. However, the current two dogs keep us happy and amused again. I would find it hard to live without a dog.
Keep your spirits up. It gets better after a while. Sounds stupid but it is true.
Best wishes.

SF

Thanks for your support, I know we did the right thing, but the place is very odd with out him clattering about.

Iona is missing him, she spent most of Sunday afternoon pushing her way behind all of the shrubs in the garden, I am sure she thinks he is hiding out there somewhere.

Latest posts

Back