Sagar chisel morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrownowtout

Reaction score
Hello All, I'm new to the site.

I am looking for any pictures anyone may have of a "Sagar chisel morticer"
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I have shotblasted the castings and am curently prepping them ready for paint, the machine is in good condition essentially needing new bushes and a vice handle.
The machine has a decidedly non standard motor bracket, I would like to eaither source one or manufacture the correct one if possible.
Please see the picture below for the machine I bought.

Many thanks

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKpgE1qz,q!sWBNoW9HMKvQ~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKpgE1qz,q!sWBNoW9HMKvQ~~_12.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 271
  • $(KGrHqYOKi!E1cSSKJrkBNoW9EwtHQ~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKi!E1cSSKJrkBNoW9EwtHQ~~_12.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 271
Come on guys, has anyone even seen a picture or know anyone who will be able to help

Cheers

Are there any clues at the back as to where the other mounting might have been?
There must have been some reason to go to all the trouble of putting the motor way up there ... maybe it is an improvement - though I rather doubt it.

There seems to be loads of the chisel/chain morticers made by Sagar on the market, but I have not seen any of the single chisel versons, it is very heavily constructed, the motor bracket that is (was) on the machine is made from flat mild steel bar, unlike the cast components that the machine is made from.
I will have to keep trawling google and or the local library for books on Mr J Sagars company, (which was bought by Wadkin) which don't seem to know much about this fine machine.
many thanks

thrownowtout":a6xh51c6 said:
There seems to be loads of the chisel/chain morticers made by Sagar on the market, but I have not seen any of the single chisel versons, it is very heavily constructed, the motor bracket that is (was) on the machine is made from flat mild steel bar, unlike the cast components that the machine is made from.
I will have to keep trawling google and or the local library for books on Mr J Sagars company, (which was bought by Wadkin) which don't seem to know much about this fine machine.
many thanks
Hi there from Australia,

Does anyone have a photo of a SAGAR chain & chisel mortiser, I have just purchased one, I would like to compare it with another one to see if there has been any alterations made.

Regards Alan

Hi Sion, the original poster only made three posts a few years ago. So I don't think he's contributing anymore. By the way I love that monster of a saw on your webpage. If you would like to find out some more info maybe you could try posting on here http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/fo ... ower-Tools there are some of the most knowledgeable wood machine men in the world.
mark

Back