safety table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yer great, not only have i had to spend thousands coverting all my machines to conform with H & S now I may have to replace my saws.

What next, rubber hammers, no sharp chisels, full body armour and helmets etc.

I think safety is important but surely the individual has to accept some responsibility.

Actually, Senior, I'd be more concerned about the minor change in regs to do with permitted noise levels on cutterblocks. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I will know when a cutter is illegally noisy - and what I can do about it (employ a robot in a sealed room?). But just to make your day here is an example where the HSE has given out dud info (see "Urgent Notice!" or read on).....

"The HSE publication HSG138 "Sound solutions" suggests techniques to reduce noise at work. It features 60 practical case studies from industry. The solution given in one of the woodworking examples - number 57 on page 69 (involving a planer-thicknessing machine) contains faulty advice. It indicates that a noise reduction can be achieved by opening the table away from the cutter block and advocates a gap of 25 mm. Unfortunately, while this solution is undoubtedly 'sound' in noise reduction terms, it is unsafe and indeed was illegal under regulation 25 of the old Woodworking Regulations 1974. The technique should therefore not be used......"

Classic! :oops:

BTW if you haven't seen it yet, the noise legislation comes under the snappy title of CoNAWR

Scrit

Latest posts

Back