Safety glasses/visor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,

It depends on what you are turning.
Something biggish especially when roughing out or if I suspect there might be splits/shakes I use a faceshield.
With small stuff I think safety glasses are ok. I always wear glasses and prefer these
When producing dust I use a dustmaster.

Hans

Dave,

As with Hans, I wear a face shield whilst I'm roughing stuff out, especially if it still has bark on or is an odd shape. I usually take it off when things calm down a bit.

Cheers,

Dod

When I am on my own I wear a face shield or a powered respirator depends how much dust I am generating. I also wear safety glasses when I am demonstrating unless I am using a microphone then I will use a face shield. The important thing is to wear something to protect your eyes and if you can you face I have seen various bits fly off and hit people.

Cheers for the info. I bought a pair of safety glasses tonight. I'll pick a visor up when I've got my airace with me to try with it.

Dave

Dave.
I bought the full face shield when i started but found that when wearing a dust mask,it still steamed up the glasses,and the shield,causing me to stop every few minutes,which is annoying.
So had to go the Airshield route,and must say that i wouldn't do without it now.
Paul.J.

I use the full face visor that Hans linked to.
Maybe I'm a little over precautions when it comes to safety, but I wear it all then time when I'm turning, whether I'm roughing out a log with loose bark, turning wood with end checks, turning something small like a pen, when I'm sanding and when I'm finishing. I also wear it whilst using the band saw.

These days I also wear a rubber dust mask with replaceable cartridges whilst I'm turning, sanding, using the band saw and whilst sweeping up. It gets a little too hot and uncomfortable in this hot(ish) summer weather but I prefer this than having to put up with the continuous noise of dust extraction.

I tried on a Trend Airshield at the Harrogate last year and didn't like it.

Duncan

I use a cheap full face mask. Judging by the bits of cellulose, the dust, and sap that I have to clean off it, let alone the bits of bark and wood that bounce of it occasionally it is worth it. It isn't infallible tough. I had a bowl with a hidden crack explode on me and it still managed to somehow cut my eyebrow. Best safety tip is to check your wood thoroughly before you start turning and act accordingly. I tend to stand a bit to one side for example when roughing out because I use a lot of off balance pieces. Also go slow at this stage as then the bits don't fly so fast

Pete

You're quite a way up that learning curve already Pete it would seem, as they say there's nothing like experience for a teacher. With this turning lark I have found that it's what happens 'off' the lathe that causes most of the unforseen problems.

DuncanH wrote
I tried on a Trend Airshield at the Harrogate last year and didn't like it.
Yes Duncan i was i little hesitant in buying one of the Airshields due to comfort reasons,and price,but i have now got used to it,and am really glad i bought it in the end.One of my better purchases.
I couldn't wear a normal mask as my glasses kept on steaming up,the Airshield solves this problem,and keeps the dust well out too.
Paul.J.

In my earlier posting, I should have put in a link to the dustmaster for those that don't like the Trend airshield. There is a range of face-shields and helmets
available. I am happy with mine, having a beard and glasses. The only disadvantage I noticed is the price.

3M discontinued production for some time, but somewhere around the SARS scare they became available again.

Hans

Back