Sack of rubbish Dremel Workstation - need help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggrajag

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Dremel 3000 so it seemed like a good idea a few months ago to buy the Dremel Workstation to turn it into a drill press for when I want vertical holes to stack cut using my scroll saw.

The blessed thing is a degree or two off at rest and then seems to get worse when you pull it down to drill - loads of people have this problem, if only I'd read more reviews, but I've not found any fixes online aside from using a damned rubber band to pull it slightly to one side. It's cheap, it's rubbish, but I have it and I'd rather try to fix it than buy something else.

Does anyone know if any of the grubs screws adjust it? I've fiddled but didn't seem to get anything useful.

It is very difficult design problem to hold vertical registration on a round column slide repeatably which is why decent machine use a pair of round columns or better still, a dovetail column. I don't think it will be fixable to give quality result.

Ditch it and think of it as a learning exercise.

I actually don't think it's the column, it's the plastic "disc" that you can rotate to alter the angle - the default is slightly off and won't turn further. Hard to explain but I'm sure it's only the front half of the build that's not true.

But yeah, as a learning curve it's steep - not only do I need a drill press I'll have to get another drill (won't I?)

The dremel is great for those occasions where you need a small rotary tool, but that's all. If you try and use it as a drill press or Plunge Router or whatever else, then it is useless.

I have the drill press attachment, and the only thing I use it for is to hold the dremel at the correct angle to sharpen my tablesaw blade

I've pretty much no idea here, but I do have a cordless 18v Makita drill that's pretty fabulous - is it possible to buy something that it fastens to securely, reliably and most importantly vertically?

Angled bed?

If the angle that it's off by is consistent that would fix the problem, but it doesn't sound like it does hold the same angle.

Latest posts

Back