S Tyzack Try, Jointing & Jack planes - requesting help establishing the exact model number

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris JH

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Jointing/Try plane (22" blade width 2.5") and a Jack plane (17" and blade width 2.25"), stamped S Tyzack of Shoreditch, London. Both are in good useable condition with some light rust on the chip breaker and iron.
I was doing some research and I found the attached S Tyzack catalogue from 1908 that helps me to partially identify them based on blade width: the Jack is a 90C or 91C, the Try is a 93 or 94.

Question: To pin down the exact model number I need to understand what "double" or "par" indicates in the catalogue and how should I find this on the plane?

Attachments

• tools1908.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
it is amazing to see that the company offered 12 combinations of jack planes alone, both with and without the boxwood strike button, plus the technical jack so 25 in all.

18 smoothing planes too

Thank you marcros, your fast and helpful reply is much appreciated. I've had a quick check of both planes and the blade irons are tapered.

The Jointing / Try is the Tyzack Model 93 (0.166" at the sharp end, 0.115" at the other end Iron width 2.499", length approx 7.5")
The Jack plane is the Tyzack Model 90C (0.165" at the sharp end, 0.121" at the other end. Iron width 2.262", length approx 7")

Both blade irons are "warranted cast steel" by Aaron Hilldick, a Sheffield based edge tool maker and bear the DIAMIC trademark which was introduced around 1900.

They should be good users for rough and mid work once you get them fitted back in good shape. The try plane should be able to plane anything without tearout, clog or chatter.

Check back in again if that isn't the case.

Back