Rutlands tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on the quality of Rutlands tools? I think I read a comment on here somewhere saying they were effectively rebranded Chinese tools, and not all that great?

They seem well priced, but not crazy cheap?

I have some of their sash cramps and they are great, I don't think 6 clamps at around £100 is excessive for over a metre long and especially when you compare that to the price of vintage record sash clamps and what prices they go for thesedays, I don't use them too often but when I do use them they are very solid and have never let me down.

They have for a while had a dreadful reputation with a few exceptions. Years ago I bought 4 of their clamps but they didn’t stand up to regular use, several other purchases ended in similar disappointment. That said their casters have given sterling service & I’ve now had 4 sets of 4 over the years.

Never has the saying caveat emptor been been more appropriate than when buying from Rutlands.

What is the general consensus on the quality of Rutlands tools? I think I read a comment on here somewhere saying they were effectively rebranded Chinese tools, and not all that great?
Nearly everything you buy will be made in Asia and you will find many tools and machines that will have so many similarities that it is obvious they come out the same door just with different color schemes and badges. If you want quality then look at companies like Veritas, Kreg, Jessem and the likes but even then you cannot rule out them being made in Asia but they do have good quality control if they are made there.

Nearly everything you buy will be made in Asia and you will find many tools and machines that will have so many similarities that it is obvious they come out the same door just with different color schemes and badges. If you want quality then look at companies like Veritas, Kreg, Jessem and the likes but even then you cannot rule out them being made in Asia but they do have good quality control if they are made there.
I do agree with the brands you mention with the exception of Kreg. Kreg tools imo are too plasticity and flimsy and expensive for what they are. The web is full of stories about their router plates sagging. Some of their tools can best be described as gimmicks to solve a problem that's not really a problem.

Hi there

Take a look at Kreg router tables & fences, I have been using one with the Triton TRa001 and it is really a good setup, no sag in the plate and good fence.
Then look at their pocket hole jigs, I believe they were the original for these and again work really well. The HD pocket hole screws are really good value for money and work well in 4 by 2's. When you need an aftermarket fence for your bandsaw then again the Kreg option is really great, works well on my BS400. There clamping range also works well with the pocket hole system and the KMA2900 multi mark is a handy tool to have around.

I've bought there parallel clamps and have no issues with them.

I've also bought a few marking and measurement tools, again no issues.

I do think it matters what you buy.

But for me there life time guarantee makes buying from them a safe bet.
If it fails - send it back for a no quibble replacement.
That's difficult to argue with in my opinion 🤔

A company that filters out any negative reviews on their website is demonstrating their company ethics.

I bought from them years ago and doubt I ever will again unless it’s a known brand that isn’t available anywhere else.

They have for a while had a dreadful reputation with a few exceptions. Years ago I bought 4 of their clamps but they didn’t stand up to regular use, several other purchases ended in similar disappointment. That said their casters have given sterling service & I’ve now had 4 sets of 4 over the years.

Never has the saying caveat emptor been been more appropriate than when buying from Rutlands.
Agree about their castors Doug. Nowt wrong with those

John

Rutlands truly are a conundrum for the hobbyist. They have some excellent tools on their website in terms of design and usefulness. However they tend to have their kit manufactured to a price rather than to an "over engineered" standard. Probably with the idea of inbuilt obsolescence, calculating that actual usage time will only build over a very long time frame, so when the tool fails the buyer will return to get another as "I bought this ages ago, it's lasted well" is the hoped for thought.

This has lead to them having a very uppy downy reputation over the last couple of decades. they do in recent times seem to have had an epiphany on this and are now very much actively trying to change their image with a whole series of new tools and a campaign to try and link the idea of quality tools with their brand. Sadly a lot of their offerings are still just badge engineering and shinny paint, just look at the precision square bracket thread on here recently. I have purchased kit from them many times and have had mixed success.

My thoughts are that they are trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps to acheive the perceived quality of kit and service that Axminster has held over the last couple of decades, unfortunately at the same time as Axminster seems hell bent on achieving that of Rutlands. Perhaps they will meet in the middle and we will all be stuck with mediocre nice looking but unfit for purpose tat unless we go to china to get something that works properly and lasts.

A final comment about China made goods. Just remember that China is where Japan was 50 years ago and Korea 20. No one thinks "made in Japan/Korea" to be a stamp of poor manufacture these days

I’d agree that it depends what you buy but the acid test with any supplier is how they react when things go wrong and unfortunately I could write a couple of essays in relation to the truley awful customer service with representatives of the company telling downright lies.

What Droogs says may well be true but I’m afraid it will be an awful long time before I even look at their website again let alone shop there.

I have bought from Rutlands many times over a lot of years, the quality of their stuff meets my expectations for the price I've paid. I had one customer service issue where they sent me the wrong machine and wouldn't dispatch the correct one until they received the wrong one back, i wasn't happy about that, but I'm perfectly happy to order from them in the future if they have what I need.

I bought quite a few bits and pieces from them when I was setting up. They were okay. One item was received damaged and they gave the option of partial refund or replacement. They dropped of the replacement and collected the damaged one without qualm or hesitation.

A final comment about China made goods. Just remember that China is where Japan was 50 years ago and Korea 20. No one thinks "made in Japan/Korea" to be a stamp of poor manufacture these days

Leaving aside the practices leading to Covid, which has brutalised many economies, China continues to have a truly appalling record of human rights and in effect slave labour. It controls freedom of speech (or lack thereof) as part of a communist regime which includes forced indoctrination of millions of people in ethnic minorities. It is amazing how easily we in the west set aside principles of freedom in order to save a few bob. Just saying :censored:

Interesting replies. Thank you.
It’s their clamps that keep drawing me in - £120 for 4 x parallel clamps and £50 for 6 F clamps is difficult to ignore. Especially when I can’t justify over £200 on some Besseys.

It seems to be accepted by all that you always need more clamps. If you can get some and not break them, they will always have a use for them, even if you get better ones later that are your first choice for most jobs.

Unfortunately if you need 4 clamps, you can't get away with telling the glueup, "ah but I bought 2 Besseys instead".

With that said, I won't buy them from Rutland's. I am lucky in that I have a few clamps already so am adding to my collection rather than starting it. I also have some long clamps, and am lucky that 300-600mm ones are cheaper than 1200mm+

I've bought a few bits from Rutlands with no problems, their feather boards are good quality and value. However, this is not the experience of far too many on this forum. I echo what others have said about rebadging Chinese tools, many of their newer measurement tools and clamps can be found on Banggood and often much cheaper, but they are often very good quality e.g. these

Clamping Square with Clamps | Next Day Delivery (rutlands.com)

are these

Drillpro woodworking precision clamping square l-shaped auxiliary fixture splicing board positioning panel fixed clip carpenter square ruler woodworking tool Sale - Banggood.com

I've just bought 4 of the Banggood ones and they are excellent.

Back