Rutlands Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed it looks rather like the generic one I got from Argos many years back - which was only for some rough chop saw work, not fine work:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 113079.htm

...I never actually used it for anything I needed to check the accuracy closely for, so don't ask me to comment on that. I have to say, when I saw this on Rutlands a while back, and the fact it says it was a "£250" really raised some questions in my mind about them. I mean, perhaps they have made sure all the components are good and true compared to some of the other generic ones... but it still looks like a generic £100ish saw to me.

I really wouldn't bother wasting any time or money on this. I had the Challenge one as a first SCMS (identical to Rutlands version) and didn't rate it at all - the battery operated laser broke after a few days, the sliding rails weren't parallel, the degree markings on the base weren't accurate, other alignment issues both horizontal and vertical... I ended up taking it back a week later. If you really need one I'd look beyond Rutlands and think about brands like Makita, Metabo etc.

This looks remarkably like a saw I bought to cut 9" joisting on a large extension, 3 years ago.
The biggest problem was that it frequently blew the house circuits due to the aggressive torque in start up each time.
Apart from that, good saw. Regards Rodders

Back