Rutlands router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forbes

Reaction score
Looking for a new router table, I see that Rutlands have their Dakota table on special offer at the moment at £99.95. Anyone out there have any opinions on it? There's the delivery charge on top of that and I would want to add a NVR switch and feather boards (maybe home made) but it still seems a reasonable price.

Forbes

Hi Forbes,

I have the same one, Ive had it about 18 months now.

I'm only the average DIYer so it's not used on a daily basis, however for how much it costs I would say it's worth the money. Ive got the Dewalt 625 in mine and works really well.

It's nice height and the table is a nice lenth, and you can change the bits quite easily, and the fence is also very sturdy.

Even if you considered making your own (which I might through time) I think once you bought the track, fence, insert etc it would not be too far short of this price.

Only problem Ive had with it is that when moving the timber across it, it used the catch the measuring tape you stick to the edge, however I overcame this buying 2 cheapo steel rules from Poundland and routed them in flush with the table top and now works fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to phil p and to Fergus for their help. I have just ordered one, in the knowledge that the fence will not be accurately square to the table, and that Rutlands know this but don't care. It will need shimming square or replacing with something better.

I also take the warning not to stick the adhesive tape measures at the sides of the table. I may put them along the edges or I may put them away in a drawer. I am not convinced of the usefulness of these scales other than for an approx. setting up - then fine adjustment from a few test cuts. Or have I been missing something?

I expect to box the legs in with ply or the like to make somewhere to keep the router bits and pieces.

My router, that I plan to put in the table, is the big Triton. That has a fancy switch on it to stop you doing things and I just had a thought that it may not need a NVR switch as well. I must investigate that. I need something on the table that I can thump, though.

Forbes

Forbes":pq9b3wqx said:
and that Rutlands know this but don't care.

now why doesnt that come as a suprise ? :roll:

if i were you i wouldnt expect decent customer service either - that way if you are one of the lucky few to actually get it you'll be pleasantly suprised.

also beware when ordering stuff on special offer from them , they may decide to invoice you for the higher price on the basis that sale stock has "run out"

Forbes":nl77vqjf said:
and I just had a thought that it may not need a NVR switch as well. I must investigate that. I need something on the table that I can thump, though.

Forbes

axminster do a NVR which is like an extension lead - you just plug the machine into it and then plug it into the socket - that gives you something to thump in an emergency without having to faff about with the switch wiring on the equipment.

linky http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

big soft moose":kj7bm4er said:
Forbes":kj7bm4er said:
and I just had a thought that it may not need a NVR switch as well. I must investigate that. I need something on the table that I can thump, though.

Forbes

axminster do a NVR which is like an extension lead - you just plug the machine into it and then plug it into the socket - that gives you something to thump in an emergency without having to faff about with the switch wiring on the equipment.

linky http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Yeah I have that axi NVR mounted so I can hit it with my knee if needed !

Thanks folks for the comments and advice on Rutlands and on NVRs. I realised after I had posted that the idea of any router incorporating its own NVR is just silly, and I have just checked this out with my Triton. I may get the Axminster NVR, or I may have a look on ebay. I don't mind a bit of wiring.

Forbes

Latest posts

Back