Rutlands pocket hole screws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't use pocket hole joinery much but sometimes it is useful, being tight I normally just use round head screws rather than the proper ones.

Todays email from everyone's favourite supplier Rutlands was pushing these today, sounds a good deal?

https://www.rutlands.com/sp+premium-pocket-hole-screw-kit-700-piece+R6021
Would be useful to have a few different sizes, anyone used them? Are they made of cheese?

Thanks, Doug

. . . no experience of these screws - BUT based on buying, in the past, boxes of varying length screws I've always ended up with several never used sizes - I now just buy boxes of the sizes I need (that's regular screws and pocket-hole) - the only useful thing about the mixed cases is re-using the case for storing other bits and pieces!

Mmm, I don't quite understand how a self-tapping screw prevents splitting of workpieces as I thought that was one of the purposes of a pilot hole. But there again perhaps I'm having a senior moment!

Mmm, I don't quite understand how a self-tapping screw prevents splitting of workpieces as I thought that was one of the purposes of a pilot hole. But there again perhaps I'm having a senior moment!

Maybe you are Pedronicus. The "standard" method for using PH screws is that you use a 2 dia drill (supplied with the kit) to drill a pilot hole (plus the flat bottomed clearance hole for the screw head). Set up the jig correctly and only about the last couple of turns of the screw go into the wood where there's no pilot hole.

Maybe you are Pedronicus. The "standard" method for using PH screws is that you use a 2 dia drill (supplied with the kit) to drill a pilot hole (plus the flat bottomed clearance hole for the screw head). Set up the jig correctly and only about the last couple of turns of the screw go into the wood where there's no pilot hole.
Many thanks, it's been a long weekend! :rolleyes:

I use Kreg" blu kote" (their words not mine!) Good screws, no splits in the workpiece and drive in no problem. Just remember to set your clutch on your screwdriver quite low, you can always nip the screws up the last bit by hand if you want.

Back