Rutlands Pen Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white_sw

Established Member
Reaction score
Having never turned a pen before, I have been looking lately to have a go. I've just received an email from Rutlands with their pen kit on offer.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... i?promo=55

Does anybody have experience of this ? Is this the kit that would get me turning my first pens ? Would I need any other special tools ?
The only turning tools I have so far is a set from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Perf ... -21761.htm

Any other I would be likely to need ?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam. On the face of it that looks like a useful bit of kit. Other things you'll need are:

Sandpaper
Something to put the pens together with (a vice or quick clamp will work)
Some sort of finish. I've used Woodwax 22 with good results on wood.

In terms of tools.

910125 Perform Roughing Gouge - 3/4"
910130 Perform Spindle Gouge - 3/8" (if you want any detail, curves, beads, etc)
910126 Perform Oval Skew - 1" (non essential but if you can master it, good for planing cuts)

Basically you can get there with the roughing gouge.

Sam before you buy anything have a look at Pen Turning on You Tube,
Rutlands Kit looks good to start with, make sure you read all about it on Google, because once you start you will not be able to stop.( Oh must try that kit next!!! :roll: :wink: )
Thomasb (John really).

wizer":2rimbcig said:
910125 Perform Roughing Gouge - 3/4"
910130 Perform Spindle Gouge - 3/8" (if you want any detail, curves, beads, etc)
910126 Perform Oval Skew - 1" (non essential but if you can master it, good for planing cuts)

Basically you can get there with the roughing gouge.

I tend to prefer using a skew for everything, including the roughing out from square. I think mine is 3/4".
I prefer my pens to have a relatively straight straight taper or perhaps a gentle curve, and that's what the skew is good at.

Duncan

THOMASB":1fidsv2c said:
... make sure you read all about it on Google, because once you start you will not be able to stop.( Oh must try that kit next!!! :roll: :wink: )
Thomasb (John really).

It's strange that you say that. I turn the occasional pen for presents and when I want to use up small offcuts, and I've produced some that I'm really pleased with. However, if I was to never turn another pen it wouldn't bother me at all.
I can see how some people might like them and choose to stick to mainly pens, but give me a bowl or platter any time.

Duncan

I was about to post asking about the Rutlands offer kit.

Seems a fair deal to get started...

Dalboy i think the link you meant was

http://www.turnerstoolbox.com/product_results.asp?product_id=130

Anybody have any opinions about which would be better for someone with no pen turning kit as yet, but all the regular turning basics?

I can't see myself being taking by the pen bug, but doing a few as pressies or something new appeals.....

Actually, Planet is a respected make in this area, so I'd probably pay a bit extra and go for that. The Rutlands kit is new so it's hard to advise on it.

I agree with Duncan. I do like turning pens, but only when they are needed. It's not a bug that's bitten me.

Oakbear, I was in a similar situation to you just before Christmas, looked around at individual items from different places and in the end I bought the planet kit, everything in there to get you up and running, supplied with 7mm bushings. Excellent bit of kit well worth the money.

Regards

Steve :)

sam, the rutlands kit is not a bad buy at all. the mandrel is made by planet and is stainless steel. the kits are only slimlines but it will get you started.then if you need any more kits get em of the bay.

Thanks for the help. :D

Apologies for my ignorance, but both these kits will only do slimlimes?
I had thought about making some fuller bodied pens, so would the mandrels supplied be ok for those too?
(Obviously i'd need to buy extra pen kits and blanks, but i want the flexibility in a basic set up ideally).

Oakbear
Thanks for that I must have cut the 0 off the end of the address. As for the size of pen you can turn the one I showed in the link can do all sizes due to the cone spacers all you need to be aware of is the diameter to match the fittings

Thanks for the advice guy. Very helpful. I'll be ordering the kit from turnerstoolbox as recommended
as it's only a fiver more expensive. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Sam

The only disadvantage of Cone Spacers is that you have to individually measure the diameter of the tube to match the kit, perhaps not a chore for the odd kit but a bit of a pain for any quantity.

Fixed diameter parallel spacers mean that you can just turn/finish down to the spacer diameter and know that it is correct.

Sam,
slimline pens are very versatile and probably the cheapest.
The versatility comes in with the centre band. You can make thicker pens by just changing the centre band or even make your own from other woods, corian, or other synthetic materials.
Next to them are Streamline pens, then Euro pens, after them the price starts to rise for the kits.
At the moment I get my kits from 'Timberbits' in Australia. The prices are right, even with postage costs. It generally arrives within a week,(much better than US mail with half the distance to come.)
At the moment the £ is quite good against the Au$ so it works out quite good.
If you buy 5 or more he supplies the bushings free etc.
Have look at his website and judge for yourself. :lol:

John. B

Back