Rutlands get one free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a poke round the Rutland sight, didn't need any thing in particular. However, found that their Easy scribe tool is buy one get one free. Works out at about £11.50 each with P&P. Paid more than that for my old compass from eBay.

Anyone had a go on their router table? With the 15% off and free delivery, it's a steal...unless it's cr@p.

marcros":3gvqoaoi said:
if it is this one http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... le+rtx2000 I have one and it is good value. it was previously just a dakota branded one and has been around for a few years, generally around this price.

That's the chap, but they're doing it with the feather board kit for £129 less discount. Just wondered what the insert is like as I am considering moving on my Triton table as the insert is a little flimsy.

it is ok, but is phenolic. It gives you two choices- replace every few years, or replace with an aluminium one. I dont know if the hole is a standard size. The insert isnt flimsy, but will sag over time. IMHO it wouldn't put me off the item.

Roger that, I did wonder whether they are a standard size too, perhaps replace it with a kreg or something in time. I'll mull it some more. Cheers for the input.

It will depend on what router you use. I have a Trend T9 (old version of the T11) which is quite heavy and the phenolic insert does sag very slightly. I used it for several years without any major disasters but I did spend a long time ensuring the eyes were level with the table to stop the workpiece catching. I eventually replaced it with 12mm phenolic (thanks to Woodmonkey). Have a quick look at an early thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/router-table-insert-t88450.html?hilit= Insert
Depending on what you are likely to make, there is the option of covering the whole table are with some 6mm acetal sheet which will give you both a flat and slippery surface. Not my idea but one from Ian Hawthorne / Hawthorne Crafts on a recent Facebook post.

Actually in the specs it says 305mm x 230mm for the plate - will investigate further.

Crossed-post with Glynne - small world, I had some phenolic from Woodmonkey too, good idea.

Oh, and it's a TRA001 going in there.

I know the plate size is different to to that of the Incra one as I was really tempted having had a play with one at Peter Sefton's. Like Macros, I'd still sugest getting the table as for the price you get the table, fence and solid metal stand and then you can sort out a different insert plate if needed.

I bought this one a few months ago when it was cheaper on sale. I fitted it to my SIP 01332 saw and am very happy with it...EXCEPT for the supplied insert which imo is poor. I replaced that with an Incra magnalock from Peter Sefton along with a Router Raizer and collet extension for my DeWalt 625.
I had to alter the table to fit the new insert as it's a different size.
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... +rtx5000k1

Just weighing up the extra on the version Lons posted, plus feather boards. Not sure if it's worth the extra few bob - you know, it kind of all adds up :)

The cheaper one, well, it's good value with the extra money off and free delivery, but can't see dust extraction port on it very well in the pictures.

Surely a RT is an obvious make your own project. Score of posts and you tube videos to spot ideas and adopt into your own design.
Fences and feather boards are so easy to make out of scrap wood.
As for insert plates there are loads on the market or buy a piece of aluminium plate on ebay and get drilling. Its not rocket science!

Myfordman":d60mqwx4 said:
Surely a RT is an obvious make your own project. Score of posts and you tube videos to spot ideas and adopt into your own design.
As for insert plates there are loads on the market or buy a piece of aluminium plate on ebay and get drilling. Its not rocket science!

I'm building a house in my spare time, some things are more "purchaseable" than others.

I can't comment on the table but the TRA001 is (as I'm sure you know) a very heavy router. So if there is a chance of it sagging then I'd say that chance increases with the Triton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wuffles":un8jekeg said:
Myfordman":un8jekeg said:

I'm building a house in my spare time, some things are more "purchaseable" than others.

Maybe. Thinking back to my housebuilding days 30 plus years ago, my RT was a piece of plywood gripped in the workmate and G-clamped fences.
Many metres of window board made on that set up as well as the mantlepiece top that I'm sitting beside as I type.
I did cheat and buy in windows so I agree it does make sense to buy in some items.

Myfordman":axetjuqm said:
Wuffles":axetjuqm said:
Myfordman":axetjuqm said:

Maybe. Thinking back to my housebuilding days 30 plus years ago, my RT was a piece of plywood gripped in the workmate and G-clamped fences.
Many metres of window board made on that set up as well as the mantlepiece top that I'm sitting beside as I type.
I did cheat and buy in windows so I agree it does make sense to buy in some items.

I've got a Triton table already, still figuring out if this is an "upgrade" at all for the use it gets.

I've got a phenolic insert in my router table and it has sagged slightly over time with the Makita 3612 dangling from below.
I believe the big Triton is probably a heavier beast so not surprised to hear.
If I were to buy another insert I think I would definitely go for an aluminium one around 10mm thick.
I've seen 6mm thick ally ones for sale but with a decent size router they might yield under pressure I suspect.
Those orange anodised UJK aluminium plates at Axminster look quite good as they have a base underneath the plate with multiple holes to fit a variety of routers and don't need to be drilled.

The more I think it through, the more I think I should just make a new insert for the Triton table and be done with it :)

Wuffles":g9rldcgq said:
Just weighing up the extra on the version Lons posted, plus feather boards. Not sure if it's worth the extra few bob - you know, it kind of all adds up :)

The cheaper one, well, it's good value with the extra money off and free delivery, but can't see dust extraction port on it very well in the pictures.

The reason I went for that one is because it looked like a much better fence. I think I paid about £40 less than the current price and the table is the exact width I needed to fit my saw table. I would normally have made my own, especially if I'd realised the insert was poor but by the time I'd bought in a decent fence and t tracks plus the time I'd need it was easier for me to buy. I wasn't bothered about featherboards as I make my own.
The stand btw is really solid and though not used in my case it will be converted for another use.

Bob

Right, taken everything on board, and if I weren't having a sober weekend (for no reason btw which makes it even stranger for me) I'd have probably pulled the trigger on this, but, I haven't.

I watched the video on the "deluxe" and saw the insert bending as the hand reaches in to change the ring - pretty scary. May make a new insert for my Triton table from some of the thicker material I have lying about in the meantime, but will possibly just wait and do it properly - go for an industry standard sized table/aperture - when it will get more use.

Thanks for everyone's help, if nothing else I've highlighted the 15% and free delivery deal.

On the Triton table, it's not flexing (the insert), it's just slightly too low. Which is fine for longer material as you don't notice, but when you're cutting stiles for a really thin door, they are offset by the "dip". Can't seem to think of a fix for this as the way the insert fits doesn't really allow for it to be adjusted.

Back